Chapter 15: Suspension of Hostillities

Part 15

Tommy arrived as Kimberly was stretching out at the end of a tough routine. The lights were dim in anticipation of her departure and her things were packed to head back to the dorm. She was just straightening from a bend at the waist, her hands flat on the ground in front of her, when the familiar sensation of being watched touched her. She didn't look up, didn't need to, to know he'd arrived.

"I was starting to think you weren't going to show."

"I got side tracked."

Kimberly took her time to get the full feel of the stretch before shifting her position to stretch out another muscle and cocked her head at him; he was slightly skewed from her vantage point. "I take it you enjoyed your party?"

"It was fun."

She waited for him to elaborate, but he remained silent, looking away and around the room, as if seeing it for the first time. She held her tongue, wanting him to make the first move - needing him to make the first move - and continued to stretch. He shoved his hands in his pockets as she straightened, collecting her bag in the same motion.

"Kim?"

She shouldered the strap, hoping she was hearing the hesitation she thought she was hearing in his voice. "What is it, Tommy?"

He inhaled and then exhaled deeply, a sheepish smile crossing his features. "I thought this was going to be easier."

Arching her eyebrows, she linked her fingers together on the strap. "You thought what was going to be easier?"

"I owe you an apology."

"You do?"

He nodded, meeting her gaze for the first time since his appearance. What she saw made her heart leap into her throat. The pain was still there, but it was tempered with understanding and acceptance - something she hadn't dared hope for. He held her gaze for a long minute and took a step towards her, almost as if he was unable to resist the pull, before stopping with obvious effort. "I wasn't sure you were up to jumping right back into the whole Ranger thing. I mean, it's been almost a year."

"Don't tell me you had doubts when you were sprouting my virtues to the other Rangers."

"A couple." His smile was apologetic. "Zordon showed me the footage of your fight with Archerina."

"Is Zordon's recording our fights now?"

"Just the solo ones. Usually we analyze the tactics we use individually as a group and point out weaknesses so we can all learn from each other's mistakes." He shrugged. "Usually. I watched it on my own since I didn't think you'd like Tanya and the guys nitpicking."

"And?" She was ridiculously eager for praise. She could almost feel it coming and she was self-aware enough to admit she needed it to salve her ego. Praise from Tommy had always done wonders for her self-confidence and, while the fight had helped, acknowledgement from her fellow Rangers - especially this one, had always meant more than just winning a battle.

"You could have been more inventive with your taunts and you certainly didn't use your surroundings to your advantage." His eyes twinkled and it took her a moment to realize he was teasing her. "You're a little rusty."

She burst out laughing. "Tommy!"

His responding grin was one she'd sorely missed and one she hadn't really expected to see when he'd first said he was going to come and chat about the fight. It was uninhibited and free; the Tommy she remembered. "You did good, Kim. Really good. I don't think Kat could have taken Archerina by herself but you had her."