Love and Other Drugs

Tate~

“Well, I think I’ll just go wait in your office then. See you later Eddie. Nice to meet you Violet.”

Tate watched as a familiar figure walked out of Eddie’s class and rounded a corner towards the teachers lounge. When he saw the person disappear through the door he walked past the classroom that he left from. Inside Tate immediately spotted out Violet. The afternoon sun streamed in from the blinds and highlighted her light brown hair, which at the moment she twirled between her fingers as Mr. Calvin talked in the desk in front of her.

 She lazily nodded to what he asked and kept her gaze on him. Tate felt a pang of jealousy. He didn’t want her looking at other guys, even if it was her teacher. Just when he thought that at that moment, her wandering eyes landed on the open door and found him. He seemed paralyzed under her scrutiny until her attention was brought back to her teacher. He backed away from the doorway and leaned his back against a locker.

“Thanks for talking with me Violet, we can discuss more tomorrow after school.” Tate heard Violet’s teacher as he opened the door for Violet and escorted her out.

 Once they parted ways he watched Violet walk into the office hallway and out the school doors. The hallways echoed with the uproar of teenagers out in the school yard. He felt his legs follow her out the door. She started to walk faster. Tate tried to keep up when two kids blocked his path and started making out in front of him. The girl had mousy brown hair flowing down an oversized letterman jacket that he assumed was the boy’s. And the boy’s black hair had her hands in it, fingers pulling through his mane as the boy’s own hands felt through her mini skirt. Tate’s hand reflexively reached towards the boy’s shoulder to tell him off and write them up on a PDA infraction, but he put his hand down when he saw Violet already crossing the street.

 He went around the couple and started sprinting towards Violet who stood out among the mass of her generation. Her willowy figure and odd style were unforgettable. Her ash gray cardigan flared at the bottom with a purple dye-tip. Over that her brown fringed vest grazed just above her navy knee-length skirt. Tate noticed how her legs hugged by black lace tights walked even faster away from him.

“Violet, please, can we talk? Violet I’m not gonna leave you alone until we talk about what happened between us.”

 Tate was greeted with a face that he couldn’t really read. Her eyes were concealed by dark circle glasses that he could see his reflection dance off of. Her lips were a tight line.

“There is nothing to talk about. Please just leave me alone Mr. Langdon.” She spat.

“You can’t avoid me forever. The whole heartless-bitch act is getting old. You’re acting like a little brat.”

Violet sized him up and down before she formed what she’d say next. A tear escaped from beneath the rim of her glasses, and Tate noticed. Instinctively he moved closer to her until he was stopped by her words.

“You know Tate its you who’s acting like a brat, a child more like. You have this sick idea that it’s okay to follow and pursue me. But it was even worse because you started to befriend me. I don’t need your friendship, I have enough shit going on as it is. So please, just grow up. Leave me alone.  Violet turned her back to him and started walking away. He wanted to say something but the words died in his throat when he saw Violet’s father pull up the curb in his car. Tate watched her slip into the car and drive off in the other direction. He looked back to the school parking lot to where his own car was parked. Walking in the opposite direction.

 Violet~

The tears didn’t stop falling and she didn’t know why. She didn’t understand why she still kept her guard up around him, when she knew full well that she was hopelessly feeling something for him. Her feelings were so confusing to her, and she still didn’t know how to react to the kiss. She knew if she confronted him again about the kiss she still would have been crazy scared.