Chapter Nine

A/N: Thx 4 reading,, pic on the right is Kat(Ashley Tisdale)

  Ugh, look at them. They're hugging, laughing, dancing - it just disgusts me. Who are they you ask? If you guessed Hayden and Jayden, the 'ever so cute' couple, then you were right I really hate to say this, but Hayden looked gorgeous. Her make up was perfect as usual, her beautiful blond locks cascaded onto her shoulder and the short black dress she wore tied it all together. How could I compete with this?

   Ken stood somewhere in the crowd, dancing in a large group. I dragged him away while he was dancing with Kat and brought him a little bit near Hayden and Jay. Ken and I started dancing, but as the song 'Last Kiss' by Taylor Swift started to play, Jay and I shared a glance. This was the song we danced to at the formal, on the night when my feelings became known. I looked away quickly and continued dancing with Ken.

"You OK?" Ken whispered into my ear.

"Yeah," I replied softly. Ken stepped back and looked at me.

 "No your not...come with me." Ken took my hand and led me to Kat's backyard. There were beautiful flowers wrapped around the chairs and the railings. Ken walked into the backyard and sat down on the grass. Getting the hint, I sat down next to Ken and lay my head on his lap.

"Aren't the stars beautiful?" Ken asked. Both of us kept our gaze on the sky.

"Yeah, they are."

"Just like you."

    I scrunched my face up and shifted my gaze to Ken. "Nice one," I said in a sarcastic tone.

"I'm serious..You're the most beautiful girl I've ever seen..."

"Ken, wh -"

 I was about to ask him what he meant when he cut me off with a kiss. "Nikki ever since we met when we were little kids, I knew you were special."

Ever since we were little.

   I was five years old when I met Ken. We had just arrived at the beach - me, Max, mom and dad.

"Nikki sweetie sit here with Max while daddy and I finish setting up," mom said while picking up a beach umbrella. I took one look at little two year old Max sitting on the beach towel, playing with sand and I laughed. There was no way I was going to sit with him. I had hated him ever since I found out mom and dad were bringing him home.

   Something glistening in the sand caught my eye. Eh, Max can watch himself! That being said, I ran over to the object. As I placed my hand on the shell, another hand went on top of mine. I looked up at the person. He was slightly taller than me with messy brown hair and blue eyes.

"Hey!" I said in my puny voice.

"Sorry, I saw it first," he said as he tried to pry the shell from my grasp.

"Urgh, it - it's mine!" I whined as I held onto the shell.

"Nikki what's wrong?" mom asked as she walked over to us.

"Ken what's the -" another female said as she approached us. "Oh my God, Jen? Jen is that you?" she asked, staring at my mother.

"Morgan!" mom squealed before hugging the woman. The little boy and I looked up at them with confused faces as we held onto the shell. "Morgan what are you doing here? I thought you moved to London!"

"I did, but I came back for my father's funeral. You know how he was born and raised in London? Well I couldn't bring myself to go back there..."

"Awh, I'm sorry! You didn't tell me," mom said in a concerned voice. Turns out, mom and Ken's mother were best friends in all of high school until Morgan moved to England when she was 18, and now she's obviously back.

  "I know, I know," Morgan started. "So how's life been treating you?"

"Well, a year after you left, I was blessed with this little angel!" Her name's Nicole," mom informed her.

"And she's beautiful," Morgan replied, smiling at me. "And the same year I left, I had this Angel, Kenton."

"He is absolutely precious!" Mom smiled at Ken.

"Morgan we gotta go!" a man with spiky black hair and green eyes called from many feet behind. Morgan looked back at him.

"Coming honey!" she called. "Hey Jen, why don't you bring the family over for dinner?"

"It would be my honor." As Ken was dragged away by his mother, leaving me with the shell, he glared at me. I gave him the coldest glare a five year old could give!

     To my surprise, I got along quite well with Ken. I was so interested in all the technology in his room! For a six year old, it looked like tech' wonderland. All the toy's he had required some sort of electricity or batteries, and he had an old computer hooked up. I had the shell in my pocket, and decided to let him keep it.

"No, let's share it," he suggested.

"Share it? But we don't live together silly!" I grinned, showing my tiny teeth with a gap in the front.

"We live about a block apart - and besides, this means we always have to be together."

   The way his smile lit up the room was amazing. This boy who I had thought would be my worst enemy turned out to be my best friend.

  "Ken...I don't under -"

"Shh, Nikki. Just listen. I promise if you give me the chance of being with you, I promise I will never take it for granted...ever..."

      I glanced up at the door and saw Jay standing there, with his head down.

I smirked at the sight.

"What do you say?" Ken asked.

"I say...yes."