Chapter Twenty

I still remember, the look on your face.

Been through the darkness at 1:58.

The words that you whispered, for just us to know,

you told me you loved me, so why did you go....away?

   Taylor Swift's "last kiss" played on the radio on our way to the airport. That song had taken me through a lot. I remember when Jay and I danced to it at the formal....

"Wanna dance?" Jay asked as Taylor Swift's "Last Kiss" started to play.

"I ... Uh .... I don't know." I looked around the gym at the swarm of students on the dance floor.

"Don't be nervous." The chill of Jay's voice sent shivers through my body. Somehow, that calmed me, and I allowed myself to be whisked away to the dance floor. I put my arms around Jay's neck as we danced. I wished that Ken was there - I had imagined this night with Ken, not Jay.

"What's wrong?" The sudden sound of Jay's voice snapped me out of my train of thoughts.

"Nothing..."

"Are you sure? Because if something's wrong, then - "

"I'm fine...Trust me," I lied. Yeah, like that's going to convince him.

"OK..." I rested my head on Jay's shoulder as we danced. I felt relaxed for the first time in a while. These days, Ken's a wild card, dad had upset me by going and asking some lady I didn't even know to marry him, and mom just didn't understand me. To top it off, instead of having a wise older sister I could seek for help, I had Max. Truth be told, Jay made me feel like my problems had disappeared.

    Haha, that was when I thought I could have feelings for him. I remember when he gave me my first heart ache, too.

"Jay? Jay you here?" I called as I slowly roamed the house. I walked to Ken's room and slowly opened the door. I opened my mouth to speak but no words came out as I took in the sight in front of me. Hayden faced Jay as they sat on his bed, listening to him. They were talking and laughing, too. I pulled the door so they couldn't see me but I could see them. A couple seconds later and Hayden's leaning in on him. I slammed the door a little too loud, and heard a creak in the bed springs so I knew someone was coming as I stormed off.

I do recall now the smell of the rain

Fresh on the pavement

I ran off the plane

That July 9th

The beat of your heart

It jumps through your shirt

I can still feel your arms

     And when Ken confessed his feelings for me...

The way his smile lit up the room was amazing. This boy who I had thought would be my worst enemy turned out to be my best friend.

"Ken...I don't under -"

"Shh, Nikki. Just listen. I promise if you give me the chance of being with you, I promise I will never take it for granted...ever..."

I glanced up at the door and saw Jay standing there, with his head down.

I smirked at the sight.