» 29.2

K A D E N

Even though the incident with the article had eventually blown over, it took me a lot longer to calm down. But that too, the anger that had consumed me in the first few days, had fizzled down to just a spark. I returned to earth, to the the mundane act of doing homework. 

The library wasn't the most liveliest place but it was better than sitting at home, overthinking, drinking and not sleeping. I stared at the blank word document (excluding my name written in the top left corner) and wondered why I'd decided to take history in the first place. The irony of it was laughable considering how much I hated my own.

With a sigh, I started on the paper. The work didn't seem so hard once I'd gotten into a rythme. After a while my eyes started to hurt from staring at the screen for so long so I slipped on my glasses, hoping they would make it better. I'd only written 985 words which was barely a fifth of the required amount when my flow was interrupted.

To my annoyance Sam had managed to track down my refuge. He'd snuck in a piece of cake he'd bought from the Blitz and was trying to eat it discreetly, despite the signs clearly saying no food or drink were allowed.

"You should slow down." I looked away from my screen to see him inhaling chocolate.

"You don't say that when having sex."

It took me a second to figure out what he meant and when I did, I shook my head. "Have it your way."

"I will, thank you very much." He somehow mumbled through a mouth full of food. "Want some?"

"Why're you here, Sam?"

He ate the piece he had offered me and shrugged "Just needed to get away from home."

Now I felt awful. I reminded myself that it hadn't been long since his gran passed away. The little guy was brave enough coming back to school and I wasn't helping by being an asshole.

"Want to play?" I angled my screen towards him as a peace offering. He gladly accepted and I even let him win a few times.

"Is everything alright with you and Noah?"

"Why wouldn't they be?" I focused on the game.

"You guys seem. . ." He searched for the right word. "Tense. Did something happen when we were at his place?"

I was saved from having to answer by Phoenix's presence. I felt rather than heard her. She placed her hands on my shoulder, making me tense for a second before relaxing. Then she sat on the other side of me with a small smile.

"Hi."

"Hey." My voice lowered an octave.

Sam merely looked between us before his mouth settled into an 'O' shape. "Well, I guess I'll leave you two to it."

"Sam, you don't have to leave." Phoenix said.

"I do, actually. See you guys around."

We both watched as his back disappeared through the library doors. He hadn't even finished his cake.

"How's he handling things?"