#8 Jailbreak

*****************************************************************************************************

I can't breath. I've been underwater for less than a minute before I start choking and inhaling the water. I'm scared! Why are they doing this! What did they do with Ender? I can taste all the salt in my throat. My thoughts start to get hazy when I still can't breath. I'm coughing and choking without any control.
     Blood suddenly colors the water around me. My neck slits open into three cuts on each side. The color of my eyes darken to blue, and my canine teeth sharpen themselves. I can feel scales grow on my arms, making me feel all itchy. With my heightened senses, I can hear someone give the order to pull my head out of the water. I'm not thinking right. I'm not Deadlox anymore.
     When my head is clear of the water, I jerk to the side and whip around. I bury my sharp teeth into the man's arm. Very hard. Blood sprays onto my face when he tears away. Something in my instincts tells me to chew. So I do. I eat the man's skin that I ripped off. I try to go after him again, the scent of blood egging me on, but multiple people tackle me to the ground. I snap my teeth and twist like a wild animal to escape.
     "So what do you think this one is?", a man asks, watching the scene from behind a pane of glass.
     "W-Well, it kinda looks like a m-mythical creature; a Siren", his assistant stutters. The scientist thinks for a moment before replying.
     "Good. Try this again in a few days, but with fresh water instead of salt".

*****************************************************************************************************

My ears are ringing from the explosion. The dust is so thick that I can only make out two figures jumping through the newly formed opening. I try to scramble back when they get closer, but one of them grabs onto my wrist.

"Jesus Christ! He actually made it out of the cell!", he shouts to the other, who doesn't respond. I twist my arm and kick the stranger's ankle, making him let go of me with a yelp and a cuss. "What the hell's wrong with you? We're here to get you out of here", he growls, grabbing onto me and lifting me up with a surprising amount of strength, "Now, where's your Shadow?".

     "Shadow? What?", I ask, still dazed. The stranger sighs in exasperation, yanking me towards the hole in the wall.

     "Never mind, they'll show up eventually", he says, mater-of-factly.

"W-Wait! Who are you", I protest, tugging back my arm. The stranger seems exasperated at this.

     "Look, I promise everything will make sense soon, but do you really want to stay here?", he snaps. No. Never again. We can't go back to the room. It only took hours for us to sink back into that prison. I shake my head and even hop over the busted wall before he can grab my wrist again.

The dust was so thick form the explosion that I couldn't even see either of their faces, but I can now that we're outside. The one that talked to me is actually at least a head shorter than me. That's really saying something considering that I'm already one the short side. His hair and eyes are both the same shade of dark brown. He wears all black to blend in with the dark night outside

The other person, who hasn't spoken, is what shocks me. They wear a dark lavender cloak pinned at their shoulders. The rest of their clothes look like something out of the seventeen hundreds. His eyes are a starling orange that flickers as if on fire. His dark brown hair has similar orange streaks. A line of scars go all the way around his neck. That's not even the strangest part. Coming through holes on the back of his cloak, are two massive wings. Both are covered in a mix of light and dark orange feathers. A similar feathered tail pokes out from the bottom of his cloak. I stare at, what seems to be a Phoenix, for several seconds before the other man snaps me out of it. Both of their faces look almost exactly the same

"Are just going to gawk at my Shadow? We're in the middle of a jailbreak, if you didn't notice", he huffs, giving the Phoenix a laughing look. He takes my arm and leads me around the building. All I can really do now is follow his lead. I'm not sure where everyone else went. I swear Beat was right behind me! I hope that he didn't get caught up in the explosion. Could these two really be like us? Are thers others? The stranger walks in front, with his 'Shadow' behind me. He takes a moment to examine my face, and something seems to click in his eyes.

     "Am I hallucinating?", he turns to ask his Shadow. The Phoenix also takes a better look at me, his eyes widening. "Damn, would you at that", the stranger laughs, slapping me on the back.

     "I..... what do you mean?", I ask him in confusion. I still don't fully trust the pair or what's going on. The man is about to say something, but footsteps make him jump and shove me up against the wall. The Phoenix jumps into action and their eyes suddenly light up into a blazing flame. The man holding me up against the wall seems perfectly calm. His Shadow scratches his foot in the dirt, drawing something out before his eyes go out. His wings and cloak dull into a pale gray and he turns to face us. His wings bled in perfectly with the stone walls and hide the three of us from anyone watching.

It's not a moment later that two guards run around the side. They hold guns and wear strange goggles over their eyes. I'm frozen in place while they run right by and to the hole in the wall. The stranger motions with his hand to say quiet, and we start inching our way to the corner of the building. The man with brown eyes peeks around the corner for a moment. He cusses bad ducks back in just as quick.

     They found my car", he whispers, "We're gonna have to-". He's suddenly cut off when headlights beam onto our hiding spot. The light seems to almost melt away the Phoenix's camouflage. His feathers return to there usual fiery hue.

The car blinds us with the light, but I hear someone jump out. I don't understand right away that someone's shouting my name. The other two stumble back when someone almost tackles me to the ground. I yelp in surprise and shock.

     Where the hell have you been!? We have the entire city looking for you", they fuss over me, and I instantly recognize the voice even when the lights keep me from seeing his face.

     "A-Adam? What are you doing here!? How did you even find me?", I ask him. I can even see Jason standing a few feet away while looking at the giant hole in the wall. It's not safe for them to be here! They must have gotten a taxi and drove themselves to my house, and seen that I was gone.

"What do you mean?", Jason speaks up, "You sent your GPS coordinates to my phone". It takes me a minute to understand what he said.

     "Oh god, he has my contact list", I deadpan. "Who?", Adam asks me.

     Nope no more time! We need to leave", the stranger interrupts us. Adam finally notices the two standing next to me, but his eyes seem to look through the Phoenix. He can't see him. They are like me.

     "Who are you?", Jason asks.

     "That's not important right now", they respond, "The guard will come back any second. I'm driving". As if we on cue, a gun shot goes off. All of us jump and dash for the truck. I don't even know where the bullet landed!

The stranger and his Shadow jump into the front seat of the car while Adam, Jason, and I squeeze into the back. I still can't believe that they came all this way to find me. The truck lurches into drive just as a full round of gun shots go off.

     "Did anybody get hit!?", the stranger yells while flooring the gas pedal. Jason and Adam, both now wide eyed and even more confused, both say no. I wasn't shot, either. But the Phoenix in the front wasn't so lucky. With his giant and bright colored wings, they made the perfect target. The first shot went right through his wing and left a bloody hole. It's already staining his feathers red. The stranger cusses when he sees his Shadow bleeding. They just motion for him focus on driving, wing tucked close.

     "Hang on, this is going to be wild ride!", our driver says, Turing the wheel sharply. The action sends the three of us in the back tumbling into one another. The stranger laughs and makes a comedic 'scree' sound when the tires slide for a moment before the truck turns. Adam sits up in shock.

"Seto?"