#12 On the Run

*****************************************************************************************************

     Everywhere I look, I only see my own reflection. I don't know how long I've been bouncing between the white room and places like these. It must be years by now. I can tell from how Ender's gotten older, and the haircuts that I get once in while. It's always the same routine; I get chucked into a room with something weird, or someone hurts me, and they wait to see if I become someone else. I guess that it would be worse without them, but they're trapped just as I am. I wonder if mom is looking for me?
     I'm currently inside a small, square room with mirrors on every surface. They just keep getting more creative, apparently. What do they expect from this one? A living reflection like in a horror movie? I've seen plenty of those since the sickos here think it'll give them a reaction. They're the only proof I have of a world outside this place. It's been getting harder to still hope.
     Apparently, I spoke too soon. The walls start to move in on themselves. Is this a Saw movie? My breath starts to pickup when the room continues to get smaller. I know they won't kill me, but the thought isn't very reassuring. My mind is ruled by panic by the time both sides of the room are pressed up against me. I'm pinned between the two walls of glass. An escape. I need an escape! Could I use the mirrors?

*****************************************************************************************************

     I stare, shocked frozen at seeing Mitch's face behind the mask. My friend held a gun to my face. He didn't shoot me. Mitch is wearing the uniform of the people from the white room. I don't know what to think of him, and the conflicted expression on my face is enough to make Mitch start tearing up again.

     "I-I didn't know. I swear I didn't know! They j-just gave me a l-location and-", he keeps stuttering, not making a whole lot of sense. It's like he's having a mental break down. I was the one with a gun in my face.

     "Is that another one of your YouTube friends?", Beatlox asks me, finally creeping closer to look. Mitch can't see or hear him without the goggles he was wearing.

     "Yeah. His name is Mitch", I mumble. Mitch glances over to where Beat was standing earlier, but makes no attempt to put back on the goggles. He's stopped talking now, slumped in front of me. "Are you ok?", I eventually ask him. Mitch starts shaking again at that. This time, he starts laughing in an almost hysterical way.

     "I was just about to kill you, and you're asking me if I'm ok", Mitch darkly chuckles, "Why do you still care?". The question catches me off guard a bit. I am acting concerned about my would-be killer.

"But you didn't", I answer him. Mitch looks at me with disbelief in his eyes.

     "I was gonna. This was my first mission. I just had to track down a runaway, and kill you", he whispers.

     "Mitch, you didn't. You didn't hurt me or Beatlox. I can't hate you for something you didn't do", I ty and reassure him.

     "Is that his name? Beatlox? Like your Minecraft name? We were litterly playing computer games with each other just a few days ago", he says, "Is Beatlox ok? He looked so scared of me........". Beat slaps him across the face. I jump in shock, Mitch flinching back.

     "Ok, I deserved that", he jokes, a familiar smirk on his face. I stand up, pulling Mitch up. Beat crosses his arms with a satisfied look.

      "So what do you say we go and get some ice cream? Forget about all this?", I suggest. I start walking towards the ally entrance, but Mitch grabs my hand. His smile is gone.