#13 Another Car Ride?

*****************************************************************************************************

     The surroundings are unfamiliar. This isn't the foggy place of  shadows.
     The large manor house only seems big from the outside. It's more like a prison to the young boy who lives inside. When you're the one behind the one way mirror, the profits are too much for most men to care about morals. Even if it means putting your own blood in harms way.
     "You're going to be the best, Mitchell. You'll be the best Hunter of this century", the man says to his son. The twelve year old sits across from his father at the table. A loaded gun sits in between them. The boy has chocolate brown hair and eyes, a checkered jacket hanging loosely on his shoulders. The large coat had belonged to his brother. The elder son was killed by Shadow Casters. Mitch's question is hesitant, almost afraid of his father's answer.
     "Dad..... Do I have to kill them?"

*****************************************************************************************************

"So you're telling me that there's actually four Tys in the car?", Jerome asks, his face scrunched up in confusion. Mitch glances over, then looks back at the road in front of him. Jerome sits in the front passenger seat with him. Enderlox and I are in the back, Dollox is sitting in one of the cup holders, and Shadox is staring at Jerome from the side mirror. He's always up for a good jump scare. I can still see Seto driving up ahead. My Shadows shouldn't be dragged back to me as long as they're in sight. Demon is literally hanging off the tailgate and looking back at us. I don't think he trusts Mitch, and he doesn't even know that he's a Hunter. Ender is going to get less then agreeable  when that part is explained. I wonder if Beat will keep his mouth shut?

     "Get used to it. They're not going away any time soon", I chuckle. Ender bears his teeth in an amused grin. Mitch doesn't say much, but pulls out a pair of goggles from his coat pocket. They're the same ones that let the hunters see Shadows.

     "How about you put these on? Try not to jump out the window", Mitch jokes. Jerome gives him and I a strange looks before taking them. The look on his face is priceless. The first one Jerome sees is Doll in the cup holder. He jumps away with a small yelp of surprise.

     "Scared of a little doll?", the Shadow laughs.

     "Why didn't he look at me first?", Shadox grumbles from the back view mirror. Jerome whips his head around to find the new voice. Shade gives a sharp-toothed grin in response.

     "Do you feel bad yet? I have to live with these guys all day everyday", I huff in mock annoyance.

     "You love us", Ender throws an arm around my neck. Jerome's eyes widen even farther, if that's possible, upon seeing the familiar black dragon. I may have used game characters like him before in videos.
     "Enderlox?", he asks in disbelief.

"In the flesh. Well, whatever I'm made out of", the dragon smiles wickedly.

     "So are they all like your Minecraft skins?", Jerome keeps looking around. He takes the goggles on and off to watch how the Shadows disappear.

     "Plus a few extra. There's ten more in Seto's truck", I lazily reply. Demon gives a hesitant wave when Jerome stares at him. Now that we have another six hours in the car, it gives everyone plenty of time to understand what's happening. All the commotion doesn't effect me as much as it does Adam, Jason, and Jerome. The rest of us knew what we were getting into. Beat's not even too shaken.

     "This is so crazy", Jerome leans back in his seat.

     "This kinda new to us, as well. It's the first time that I've seen anyone like Ty", Enderlox tries to comfort him a bit. All the "Lox'es" are still in awe of seeing Seto and Blaze. According to him, I'm still weird, though. One Shadow is normal, and I have 13. Well, what's new? We've never been normal. My mom thought her son was crazy. She actually did convince Ender that he wasn't real for a while. I still remember how sad I was when he would curl up in the corner of my room all those years ago. I'm not sure how I feel about the possibility of seeing her again. She's caused as all so much suffering. Maybe Seto is wrong.

     I'm snapped out of my own self pity party when the truck ahead of us starts to slow. Seto pulls over on the gravel road, no other vehicle in sight. Mitch carefully pulls up behind him. Demon shrugs his shoulders at me, but jumps over the side of the truck and onto the ground. The rest of my Shadows follow as Enderlox clambers out.

     "Didn't we have hours left to go?", Doll grumbles when I pluck him out of the cup holder. Jason and Adam are both looking at the ground when I walk over to the group. Mitch and Jerome are a step ahead of me. Seto is looking around anxiously.

     "One moment, please. I just want to make sure that no one will drive by and get suspicious", he explains, turning the Blaze. The Phoenix Shadow takes his offered hand. My jaw drops open. I've never seen what it looks like from outside. The humans jump back a little at the sudden action. Blaze's figure darkened until he looked completely black, then he almost phases into Seto. The Phoenix's features reappear in color. I know that they're visible when Mitch stares. All it took was about three seconds. They look around a moment at all of us before getting to work. Blaze hasn't ever spoken. Does is have something to do with the scars on his neck? The two of them can't talk even when together.

     They push up the sleeve of their shirt to reveal a few symbols. He traces one and mutters something before his large wings start to fade. I had seen something like it back at the lab, but this is more powerful. Their entire body changes color to blend in perfectly with what's behind him. I can only see a slight blur when he flaps his wings and takes off into the sky. Mitch whistles in amazement.

     "That's a little freaky", Jason gawks at the empty sky.

     "I could've done that", Hologram rolls his eyes.

     "Not as cool as Blaze can", Squid teases him. Another gust of wind ruffles my hair before I can say anything. They land on the ground as the camouflage slips away. Blaze melts back off in a shadowy shape and then reforms. Seto's back to himself. They're both panting from the effort.

     "Ok, it'll be at least a half hour before anyone could get over here", Seto stands up straight. "That was so cool", Adam squeaks like a child.

     "Weren't you just scolding me for doing that?", Brinelox mumbles, annoyed. Sure, they both passed out, but I agree that it's a little hypocritical.

     "Why did we stop? I'm sure that we're still being hunted, even if they're not here yet", Mitch brings everyone back on topic. Jason shuffles his feet before looking to Seto. The Shadow Caster nods and looks at me.

     "I've talked to these two about it, but Jerome and Mitch need to choose as well", he starts, "This isn't a human's problem to deal with. Once you know where the base is, after the hunters figure out who you are, they can't ever get their old lives back".

     "I..... I have a son now. I have to go back and protect Mason", Adam hangs his head, feeling guilty for wanting to leave. I can tell that he doesn't want to abandon me.

     "My niece has been talking about an imaginary friend since last year. Meeting all of you-", Jason gestures to Blaze and my own shadows, "I have to check on her. She could be like you.......". I speak up before my two friends can put themselves down any further. They both have hearts that are a little too big.

     "I never wanted any of you to be involved with all this trouble. Your priorities are to family first", I give them both a sincere smile.

     "Yeah! And I still have Ty's phone to keep in touch!", Beat cheers, lightening up the mood a bit.

     "Well, I'm staying. But sure what would happen if I left now", Mitch shrugs with a small smile.

     "I'll stay, too. If you are", Jerome stands his ground. Mitch is alarmed by his choice. This world is dangerous.

      "Are you sure, Jerome? I mean, you have some family back in Florida", he tries to talk him out of it.

     "And you don't? I won't leave you here", Jerome stubbornly replies, "Besides, I'm curious as to how this all will end. It feels like I'm meant to stay".

     I share a comfortable silence with them all. Everyone's gone so far for my sake. I don't know how to ever repay them. Jason and Adam both hug me before walking to the car. We'll need the truck with all my Shadows. We still have a long ways to go, and I have a feeling that there's much more ahead.