27

Oliver felt at home.

Even though his true home was in New York, anywhere Elio was made him feel safe. As long as he had Elio, home was near.

He was fine talking to visitors. He was fine shaking hands. He was fine talking about what happened if he was asked, and no one ever asked too much that he felt overwhelmed.

"How about that statue Mister Perlman?" Oliver smiled as he pointed over at the new statue with his drink.

Mister Perlman smiled with pride. "Isn't it beautiful? I've got plenty of research to do on it but just having it here feels like an accomplishment."

"If you need help with paperwork, you know you've got me."

Mister Perlman nodded as he chuckled. "Wouldn't want to put you straight back to work."

"Nah, it's fine. I need the distraction anyways." He took a sip of his drink right after speaking.

"Heh, well," Mister Perlman patted his back as he began to walk away. "For that, you got my son."

Oliver choked on the drink as Mister Perlman walked away. He then heard his favorite laugh and he turned to see Elio talking to two of his cousins, smiling.

He missed that smile. As he started to make his way to Elio, he began thinking of all the things he needed to apologize for. For being gone for so long, for not making his letters longer, for not sending or bringing any souvenirs, for letting go of hope many times back in the—

Bang!

Oliver halted as he looked around and heard Mrs Perlman's yelling.

"Who the hell brought balloons?!" He watched as she grew angry and stomped her way to a woman holding flowers and now a loose string. "Palloncini? Ma stai scherzando!"

Oliver laughed but it soon came to a halt as something tugged his arm. He looked down and Elio's worried expression. "Are you okay, Oli? Should we go inside?"

Oliver frowned. "Why would we?"

Elio looked over at the woman who was being escorted out then back at Oliver. "No... flashbacks?"

Oliver shook his head. "It's just a balloon."

Elio laughed as he patted Oliver's shoulder. "Of course it is! Come on. Let's get this party going."