34

Life had a funny way of continuing it's path.

Sometimes it woudn't.

"Ay dio mio," Elio's mother groaned as she slammed the phone down, "The phones aren't working."

Oliver smiled, quick to his feet as he tapped on his pockests. "We can go and get them checked."

Elio rolled his eyes as he ran his hands along the notes of the piano randomly, annoying his mother. "We? I don't wanna go."

Oliver chuckled as he walked over to Elio, grabbing onto his shoulder and squeezing it hard. "Didn't you want to go on a walk just earlier?"

Elio gulped down his fear as he chuckled and closed the piano. "Yeah, that's right." He stood up and went to grab the phones. "We'll get them fixed."

"Ay, grazie, grazie." She quickly kissed Elio's forehead and then pulled Oliver for a kiss on the cheek. "Hurry, hurry. I need to make calls."

The two made their way out, Elio quickly jumping away from Oliver's reach, who only dugged his hands in his pockets. "What was that about?"

Oliver laughed as he pulled his hands out and grabbed onto one of the phone's in Elio's hands. "I just really wanted to get us out of the house. Aren't you tired of spending the past two days inside ... all day?"

The younger thought about it. "No. I like being inside."

"But you like the pool, and biking." Oliver pointed out with a snarky tone.

"I prefer my bed."

"Our bed."

Elio shook his head, a smug look on his face. "I paid for that bed myself. So, my bed."

"Ugh, you are impossible to please."

"Not if you try harder." Elio wiggled his eyebrows at Oliver, who only laughed a him.

"You are seriously some--"

Life, just really liked to have the worst timing.

And it went by so quickly in it's end of the path.

Screams overfilled the streets of mid Italy as two gunshots were heard. Two gunshots very well targeted at two separate people. See, the phones didn't work because they had been tapped in, something only trained professionals could do back in the day.

Soviets knew of Oliver and the information he still heard. Empathy overtook the Soviet Captain as he had come to Oliver's welcome back party, as he watched the so obviously in love American man who was being told to forget the war. There was no threat, he thought, so he wished the American wouldn't call anyone from home.

But he did. And orders were clear. No information source could be let live.

So there he stood above a blond man's corpse and his boyfriend bleeding out from his neck. "I'm truly sorry."

But Elio only heard his own heart beat as he looked at the scene next to him.

"O-Oli-liver..."

With a thick accent, he speaks as he leans down to search Oliver's body. "I could have killed him sooner, you know. But I felt bad. I thought... he's just some rookie spy. He'll forget." He pointed at Elio as he sadly smiled. "And you were there... making his life have other meaning than war as he had said to us at the party... But he just had to run it for himself." He frowns as he digs through his pockets.

"Oli..."

And life, was just straight up, a cold hearted, evil, bitch.

"That's unfortunate." The man pulled out a silver ring, the exact size of Elio's finger. "You would have been a lovely couple."

Elio felt the man place the ring on his hand that reached out to Oliver and heard him walk away.

"Poyekhali!"

Nothing went through the younger's mind. Nothing but pure and unrecognizable horror Because he himself, didn't know that he was about to die. Because all he cared about was the man he so much had loved.

"Elio."