Chapter 10: Why me?

Chapter 10: Why me?

Darkness. Again.

I was alone again in the darkness. I couldn’t see, hear or feel anything. Somehow my eyes adjusted to the darkness. Or rather, there was a light approaching me.

I squinted my eyes in an attempt to see what was in the bright light. Suddenly the light disappeared and there was a figure dressed in white. The light seemed to be coming from the figure now instead of surrounding it.

“Allyson Leyla Grey!” scolded the figure, but with a dazzling smile. “Or should I say Mrs Peters”.

I wasn’t prepared for this. My mother was dead, which meant I was too. I could feel the hot salty tears streaming down my face. She looked more beautiful now with her long golden hair cascading down her back in a similar fashion to mine, and her big brown glinting eyes.

“Mom?” I whispered. I was taken by surprise at the sound of my voice, it was too angelic to be mine.

“Oh honey don’t cry. You’re not dead” she said as she gently rubbed my back to calm me down. “Nate still needs you”

Nate. Somehow I hadn’t thought of him a once this time. I couldn’t bring myself to think of about the man I loved, my husband, but now I couldn’t help but wonder if it was meant to be.

“Sweetheart, you and Nate are perfect for each other” she smiled gently at me. The feeling of loneliness crept up on me and I knew my mom had to go.

“I’m not going anywhere honey, you are” she said. I watched her as she turned her back and began walking back in the direction she had come.

“Don’t shut him out honey, he loves you.” She said with pride.

I began to panic. My mom was here after so many years and I had barely said anything to her. I scrambled for something to say. “Why me?” was all I could get out, but it was all I needed to say.

“It’s not your fault Ally, neither was it mine.” She said sadly as she looked at me. I didn’t realise that I could move now. I wiggled my fingers and looked up slowly to smile at my mother.

“I’m so sorry I left you all alone baby” she whispered, but oddly enough I heard it. “Be careful of who you trust honey” she said in a stern voice “I’ll always be with you. I love you sweetheart”

“I love you too” I whispered as the light faded and the darkness returned.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could hear Angie’s voice. It sounded like she was pleading with someone, a very stubborn someone. “Nate Its been three weeks! You need to go home” she tried once again.

I longed to hear the voice of my husband. I could hear Angie’s voice again, but all I wanted was to hear him say something, anything.

“I’m not going home without my wife” he said sternly. I felt the tears welling up in my eyes again. I missed hearing that voice. I could sense his irritation as Angie kept talking. What was wrong with her?

Suddenly the room went silent and I wondered why. I started to panic, but then I heard Nate’s voice, this time it was nearer and louder.

“Ally? Can you hear me?” he said anxiously. I felt his hand wrap around mine and my heart went wild. “Angie get the doctor!” he yelled in panic.

“Stay with me Ally. Stay with me” he spoke frantically all the while fussing over me.

I heard the doctor barking orders at nurses as they moved around me. I just wanted to hear Nate’s voice, why wouldn’t these people leave me alone. I could feel the muscles in my face move into a frown.