Chapter 14: the end is here

Chapter 14: The end is here

In all honesty, I was really enjoying the darkness this time. I could hear Nate’s voice; it was a beautiful parting gift.

I was really looking forward to seeing my mother, but she didn’t visit me this time. I decided to focus on my husband’s voice because it was comforting.

“I love you” I thought as I listened to his voice. I couldn’t hear what he was actually saying, but I knew that it was his voice.

“I love you more” I heard him reply. I was startled by how audible his voice was. It was as though he was right next to me.

I heard a siren and I jumped up in panic. I hit into something hard and I felt the pain on my forehead.

“Please turn off the light. And move that damn wall please” I said in annoyance. I realised that the darkness was a whole lot lighter than the last time.

I looked around and saw two paramedics staring at me in wonder. I stared back at them in annoyance, I had never won a staring contest before and I was not told that we were having one.

Laughter erupted in this confined space we were in and it frustrated me more.

“Babe you really should stop thinking out loud”

I froze in shock at the sound of that voice. I didn’t want to believe he was really with me because I knew I was dead and I could not be with him, so I shut my eyes tightly.

“What are you doing here? I’m dead, you can’t be here” I whispered shakily.

He gently turned my face in his direction and I relaxed into the warmth of his hand. I slowly opened my eyes and soon found myself lost in his warm brown ones.

“You’re not dead Ally”, he said with a warm gentle smile.

I could not believe it; I had been so sure that I was dead. There had to be a very good explanation for this. “What happened?” I asked.

“I kicked the door open just as she was about to shoot you. It startled her so much so that she missed you and shot Angelina instead” he said with a straight face, obviously trying to conceal his emotions.

“No! Not Angie” I said in panic as tears pooled in my eyes. It had been my fault that she was in that situation to begin with. I would not be able to live with myself if she had died instead of me.

“Hey, sweetheart don’t cry, please. Angie isn’t dead. The bullet just grazed her arm, she was rushed to the hospital immediately” Nate said while rubbing circles on my back to soothe me.

“So what happened to me then?” I asked in confusion.

“You passed out sweetheart” he said gently.

I couldn’t help the laughter that erupted from my lips. The one time I was actually certain I was going to die was the one time I fainted.

*********************************

Mrs Peters’ lawyers pleaded insanity so she was admitted to a mental institution. Mr Peters had been so shaken by everything that had transpired that he left the country for a year.

I couldn’t be happier. I did not have any more encounters with death or psycho women after me. The only thing I needed now was some sleep.

“Honey it’s your turn” I groaned as I tried to get back to sleep. I had had about 8 hours sleep in the last 48 hours.

I heard Nate sigh as he got out of bed and headed towards the cause of our sleepless nights.

After the whole ordeal with Nate’s mother, I fell pregnant again. Exactly 9 months later I gave birth to triplets.

Our babies were angels, they could sleep through anything. But the cause of all our troubles was Johnny, German Shepard.

He had developed this habit of watching the children at night as they slept, and any time one of them made even the slightest of movements Johnny would start barking loudly in panic.

So Nate and I would have to go and calm him down. Our dog was more paranoid than we were.

Angelina and Blake were better than ever. They went to the Bahamas for their honeymoon.

I had finally found peace, a home and a family. But the best thing I finally had was love.

The End

Okay this is really the end now. Thank you all for going on this journey with me. This last chapter is dedicated to @Mahshid for being such an amazing reader. Thank you for your support. Please check out her book ‘Silk and Roses’ you won’t regret it.

***Peace, love and Brownies***