The Special Teacher: Chapter 10

Chapter 10: scare

          Sauli was so scared. Had Bryce or someone else called the police on them? Was Adam alright or was he already in jail? His mind was going crazy. The police officer knocked loudly on his door again. Sauli had to answer it because both his parents were already at work this morning.

          “Hi…” Sauli said as he opened his door.

          “Hi there, I’m Officer Smith. Is something wrong? You look a little worried. I’m here to ask if you have seen this girl. She has been missing since yesterday.” The cop said.

          Sauli was relieved. The officer was here for a whole different reason. Sauli felt like a thousand pounds had been lifted off his chest. He stared at the picture for a short few seconds before realizing it was Katri. “Nothing is wrong, I’m just tired. I saw her yesterday, her name is Katri. She was with me at the south side park.”

          “When was that?” Officer Smith asked.

          “We met there at 4:30pm and stayed until around maybe 5:30 or six.” Sauli said.

          The officer scribbled something down on his notepad. “What did you and her do?”

          “We took a walk through one of the trails in the woods there.”

          “When did she leave?”

          “I don’t know. I left around 5:30 or six and she stayed setting on the giant log back there as I left.” Sauli said.

          “Okay, thank you for your information. It will really help us find her. Have a nice day.” The officer said as he walked back to his car.

          Sauli closed his front door and plopped down on his couch. His heart was still beating fast from the first sight of the officer standing on his porch. He was for sure that it was about him and Mr. Lambert. He was worried now for a whole different reason. What had happened to Katri? Was she okay? Sauli showered and got dressed. His drive to school seemed to last forever because he was so excited to see Mr. Lambert there.

          As Sauli walked into homeroom, he noticed that Bryce wasn’t there. That was a good thing. He didn’t need to be bothered or bullied by him. A smile crossed Mr. Lambert’s face as he saw Sauli walk in. The time from homeroom up until lunch seemed to go by super slow. Since Katri wasn’t here today, Sauli decided to see if he could eat lunch in Mr. Lambert’s classroom.

          “Hey” Sauli said as he walked into Mr. Lambert’s classroom.

          “Hi. You’re not eating lunch with Katri today?” Adam said back.

          A grim expression covered his face. “No, she’s not here today.”

          “You seem overly upset about that.” Adam acknowledged.

          “The police came to my door this morning…”

          “They found out didn’t they?” A panicked look crept over his face.

          “No, no, That’s what I thought also. They came to my door asking if I saw Katri. She’s missing.” Sauli explained.

          “Oh. This isn’t good at all. I hope nothing bad has happened to her.” Adam replied.

          “I hope not either. When I first saw the police officer at my door, I freaked out. I was worried that they had found out about us and that they had already taken you to jail or something.” Sauli said.