18. Quit your job

"Lotte, you have to quit your job," orders him.

"How am I supposed to pay my bills again? asks her sarcastically.

Joe is silent.

It's one of many quarrels they have every weekends. Knowing it's going to be Saturday soon. And Lotte would hook up with her loyal customers again. Driving him nuts.

Joe finally says, "There must be better jobs out there."

"Sure. Jobs for graduated folks. Not a high school girl like me, Joe. You don't think I've tried all the other options by now?"

This quarrel won't end well as usual.

The guy wants her to quit. Yet, he gave her no other way out. She needs money. For rent. For paying education fees. Money she doesn't have.

The school bell rings.

Joe walks into the classroom, tagged by cheerleader squads again. Lotte rolls her eyes.

Nobody in school knows they're dating. Not even Fran. As if he's ashamed of her.
His dirty little secret.

Who wants to date an escort girl like her? Used by men in weekly basis.

"Let's face it. He only needed me for sex. Like all the other guys. He never really loves me..."

Fran asks, "Lotte, who are you talking to?"

"Nobody."

Fortunately chemistry experiments started soon. Lotte doesn't want to talk about her love problems with her. The girl that her boyfriend loves.

*****

Gio is walking out of his apartment building. His bodyguards are flocking around him as usual.

Luci, his brother is walking on his left. Marco on his right. They are his most trusted men in this world.

Suddenly a car stops in front of them. The windows got down and three shooters start emptying their guns to them.

Gio grabs Marco and uses him as a living meat shield. The poor guy took four bullets.

His other men fire back to the shooters.

Gio finally releases him after the driver hits the gas pedal and the car leaves.

Marco is lying on the ground.

Dying.

Luci kneels down. He presses his hands on his gunshot wounds. Trying to stop the bleeding.

"Don't...end...like...me..."

Marco has died after saying those words.

"Damn it! Open your eyes! Marco! Marco!"

Gio says coldly, "He's gone."

Luci stands up and pulls Gio's collar. He yells angrily, "Why, why, Gio?"

Gio's men pull him away from their Boss.

"Simple. It's better him than me."

His cold blooded answer left chill in Luci's heart. Marco is like their brother although they aren't blood related. The three of them grew together in Italy. Marco has always supported Gio since the beginning of the organization.

He even went to jail for him.

And this is how his life ended. How Gio paid him for his loyalty. As a living meat shield for his Boss.

Luci shoves the guys around him. He stares down to Marco. The guy is staring blank to the blue sky.

Gio orders, "Let him go."