Chapter 1- Beach City Coffee and Tea

The first two hours of my 2-10 shift were relatively quiet. I only had one older gentleman who just wanted straight black coffee and left nodding thanks with a little lift of his to-go cup, beside him no one came in after my boss left. Most people in town were at the beach tonight listening to one of the first summer music concerts of the year even though it was only early April. As mayor Dewy liked to say it was "early tourism for the town and starting the summer off right".

Tonight my friend Sadie was playing with her band, Sadie Killer and the Suspects. I was sad I couldn't go and support her and enjoy the music, but my boss was taking his family to Empire City for the weekend. So, that met I was the only one able to work. He knew I was bummed and gave me an extra 20 bucks for me having to miss her concert and work the whole weekend. He was a good boss, definitely better than my last.

As I bent over to pick up a few rouge beans that had fallen from when I made the gentlemen's coffee the bell attached to the front door tingled. A blond with a green stripe in her hair had burst in her eyes searching and was huffing, out of breath slightly.

"Welcome to Beach City Coffee and Tea. What can I ge-"

"Wifi!? Do you have public wifi?" I could hear the pleading in her voice. She looked like she could possibly cry at any moment.

"Yes... but before I tell you the password why do you need it so bad?" I said as I slid the laminated paper with the password slightly out of her sight. I knew I was being nosey and should have just pointed at the password and made her order something to be allowed to use it, as was policy, but I was curious and slightly concerned. I had seen her plenty of times rushing across Beach City University before I was forced out. She always looked on edge, but then again I am always on edge. She carried herself different though she couldn't hide that she was at the cusp of falling.

"Because those clods at the stupid school took my wifi privileges" Her eyes began to well up "and I am in a tournament with my friends at home."

I felt bad for asking and letting my nosey side make this small girl cry.

"Hey, it's okay..." I slid the password over "I know it says you have to buy something to use it, but don't worry it's on me for making you upset. I am sorry about that and the school taking it from you in the first place. What would you like?"

"It's ok I can get it, it's my fault it got taken...I'm such a clod I should have known better!" She looked at the ground pulling at her hair with her one hand and stomping her foot. Her face became a different shade from the sad pink it had been taking on embarrassed and mad tones. She dug around with the other hand while looking at the wood spirals of the coffee-stained floor as if it would save her from what she did. She pulled out a leather wallet that had a small alien head emblazed on it. She opened it revealing no cash only a punch card to Fish Pizza down the road and a few arcade tokens from Funland Arcade. Her face turned bright red. "That clod took my money and my wifi! I should have never helped her!"

I pulled the 20 out of my pocket that my boss had given me "It's on me like I said. What would you like?"

She shuffled her feet. Her face was upset and embarrassed to let me pick up the tab. "Matcha Green Tea Latte please... and I can pay you back later."