9 - Competition

You don't have to come first,
Second is okay 'cause you ain't ever beating me

You don't have to come first,Second is okay 'cause you ain't ever beating me

{9}

"Again."

Alice groaned, raising her fists and throwing the combinations she had been taught.

"Again."

Left, right, left, right, upper left, upper right, repeat.

The same combo for the past half hour and it was safe to say Alice was bored.

"Again."

"Oh, come on, Cap. Can we please do something else?" She whined like a child, flicking her ponytail from her face and dropping her gloves hands so they hung by her side.

"Tony asked me to build your hand to hand combat skills, so that's what we're doing. Again."

"I don't need to practice - it's literally what I've been trained to do." She sighed, shifting her weight as her gloves fists hit the boxing pads that covered Steve's hands.

"Always room for improvement. Again."

Alice started the first punch but spoke as she did. "So it has nothing to do with the fact that the rest of the avengers have the first monthly review of me?" She huffed, bouncing on the balls of her feet, ready to throw the combo again.

"Not as far as I'm aware. Again."

"Oh, come on, old man. Don't lie to me now. Here I was, thinking we were best friend." She laughed, throwing her punches again. "Okay, I'm really bored now."

Alice finished the combo before unstrapping the boxing gloves from her and and holding them in front of her body. Steve raised an eyebrow curiously, watching the casual persona that Alice was exhibiting.

"Ready for a challenge?" He smirked, trying not to let Alice see that he actually was just keeping her away from the commotion taking place upstairs at the compound.

"Always. What you got in mind, Cap?" She asked with a grin.

"Fight me. If you can best me in this round then we can stop and I'll do my best to convince Tony that you should be able to stop this." He smiled simply, unstrapping his pads.

"And if I lose?" Alice asked, quirking her eyebrow.

"Then it proves you're not ready and we go back to practicing your punch combos."

She knew she couldn't lose this task. Her sanity depended on it. Alice was already going stir crazy.

"I want a different deal. I win - I go out. I have people I want to see. That's my bargain." She looked at Steve pointedly, not willing to back down on her terms.

"Stipulation - I come with you. Final offer." Steve raised an eyebrow, reaching a hand out for the girl to shake.

Alice took a moment. She knew this would probably be the best possible deal she could've hoped for.