Strike Fifteen

~Daphne~

I got anxious when I learned Jesley’s room was empty this morning. It got worse when Miss Dawn sent a search party for Jesley.

I already knew she’d go on her own, whether she was alone or not. It was in her nature to adapt to the situation and it was worrying me a lot.

“Another offense? She’s gone too far. When she gets back to the institution, she will receive a fine punishment. Make sure you find Jesley. She needs to learn a lesson,” Miss Dawn ordered the group of sentinels. They all saluted and went deep into the forest.

“She’s out of her mind. I heard she jumped through the partially activated barrier last night,” one of my classmates said.

“Knowing her, she thinks it was better to get burned than be placed in the Room of Reflecting Glasses,” another said.

That was another thing. She was going to the room of our nightmares if she ever made it back. Now, I feel a little guilty for letting her go on her own.

Back in the human world, she did a lot of things for me and asked for nothing in return (probably because she thinks I can’t do whatever she wants). I wasn’t going to let Jesley go to the Room of Reflecting Glasses. Not until she finds the orb. Maybe if she did, she would be absolved of her offenses.

“Silver!” I called out to the boy with ginger hair. “What now? If it’s about teaching you in enchanted ecology, you can forget it,” he said. I reddened.

“It’s not,” I said, regaining my serious face, “But I have to talk to you about something.”

~Jesley~

I looked around in alarm as I trudged down through the forest. Breezy was following behind, eating the piece of bread I gave him.

My eyebrows furrowed as I took out my map of the Ethyrian realm. I was supposed to be near Thalessa River. Why am I still-

I moved my head to the side as a fire arrow whistled past me. I turned and saw the sentinels. They were riding griffins and a few were holding bows. “Breezy, run,” I ordered the loyal dog.

Transforming into my canine form, I decided to lay low while evading the multiple elemental arrows fired at me. So the school council decided to send the sentinels after me? Now I feel like a fugitive.

I have to get them off my trail. I spotted a tree and climbed it, jumping through branches. The griffins’ cries echoed as they flew. Arrows kept chasing me until one grazed my arm. I hissed in pain but kept going.

“Jesley, if you go back now, the punishment won’t be that heavy,” another sentinel called out to me. Yeah, right. I wasn’t going to turn back because of that.

My eyes widened when a griffin flew directly above me and the rider jumped on me. I yelped as we crashed down and past the trees.

I ended up on the ground as the person was above me. “Not so sneaky now, are you?” Asphodel sneered. I rolled my eyes.

“You again?” I raised an eyebrow at her. She glared as she placed a knife near my neck. “Asphodel! We aren’t allowed to injure Jesley unless she fights back!” a sentinel said.

“Well, let’s just say she did,” Asphodel smirked. “Sure you can. Because I will,” I said as I jabbed two fingers between her eyes and ran again when she got distracted.

That’s when I spotted a river ahead. Its water glistened with multiple-colored sparkles. There it was: Thalessa River. But I have to make sure the sentinels won’t be able to see me.