Strike Eleven

~Jesley~

Cleaning wasn’t really bad. Except that Asphodel (yeah, I got it right) kept on throwing leftover food and trash on the tables I cleaned and on the tiles, which pissed me off.

In the end, I was the triumphant one as Daphne threw a bucket full of dirty water and snakeskin (credits to Silver’s snakes) on the floor the redheaded idiot was walking on. She slid and ended up on the trash bin, where she truly belongs to.

Everyone went off to the Alpha Field to see who the six students that will face off today were. I got annoyed at myself when I remembered that Pierce would’ve wanted to be my opponent.

The thing now was I was being punished. When sir Xenon heard about it, he freaked out. I don’t really think I have to give details about it.

“Hey,” Rian greeted when she got near. I merely nodded and placed my cleaning gloves at a basket. “Aren’t you going to the Alpha Field?” she asked.

“No. I got punished so now I’m a temporary waitress,” I said, a hint of annoyance in my voice. “Now the training we had was going to waste,” I muttered but I’m sure Rian heard it.

“I don’t think so. There’s another weekly match next week. You might make it,” she encouraged, giving me a smile. I looked at her.

She noticed and asked, "What?" “Why are you so nice to me?” I asked. “What do you mean by that?” Rian asked confusingly.

“Almost everyone in this place thinks I’m some weird person and tends to ignore me. I’m surprised you ever gave me some attention,” I said. Rian giggled.

“For someone so callous, I’m the one who’s surprised you care about what people say. I just know you are not what they think you are. You’re gifted, Jesley. And as your senior, I want to make you feel welcome. Someone has you back, okay?” Rian smiled.

“But you really don’t know who I am,” I replied. “I don’t have to,” Rian said and turned. “I have to go now. I was chosen to go on the weekly match. See you later,” Rian said and walked out of the cafeteria.

I suddenly got curious. How was Rian during a match? She never really handled a weapon when she helped me on how to handle a whip. And Pierce, too. I need to find a weakness during his strikes.

I walked down the corridors and stopped by a window. There I found the Alpha Field, where students crowded over the cemented training field.

Pierce was on the field with someone I don’t know. Some sophomore, maybe. But what intrigued me was the fact that this person has a large sword and he only has a metal staff.

I leaned closer to the window as my irises turned to slits, my eyesight going way too clear and close. The red flag was brought down and Pierce attacked first, sending a kick to the person’s chest. The person brought his sword to block the impact but it was no use.

Pierce’s kick was strong for sure since the person was sent flying; his large sword sent the opposite way a few meters far. Pierce didn’t wait for the person to stand completely and took the person down while pressing the staff down on his chest so he can’t get up.

I was irritated instead of impressed. The battle ended way too fast I didn’t even manage to study his moves. I replayed the scene in my mind.

He was agile and it made me angry. I wouldn’t be agile myself if my skills weren’t enhanced. Pierce was a freaking bird-guy yet he was talented, not needing his large wings in the fight.

I watched Pierce as he walked into the building, ignoring the cheers of our classmates. Girls, to be exact. The boys were glaring at his back as he walked away. I spotted Silver in the crowd. He was laughing at the boys he was with.

“I was expecting you to enter the weekly match.” I jerked in surprise when I saw Pierce leaning by the wall behind me. I looked out the window then at Pierce.

How the heck did he-?!

“Didn’t you just attend a match?” I asked. “I didn’t,” Pierce responded. “Impossible. I saw you earlier. You ended the match quickly,” I argued with knitted eyebrows.

“That was a clone you saw at the Alpha Field. The match ended quickly before anyone noticed it was a clone,” Pierce said.

“And why did you do that? Are implying that your opponent was so weak a clone could defeat him? And here I thought you were some noble jerk,” I said, placing my hands on my hips.

“I wasn’t interested in going,” Pierce said as he looked out the window, his hair falling to the side of his face. “Wow. You were the one saying you were looking forward to the match. Psh,” I rolled my eyes.

“I would have if the opponent was you,” Pierce said, making me look at him. “Why? So you could humiliate me? No thanks. I’ve gotten enough of that,” I muttered the last part sulkily.

Pierce’s eyes flicked towards me. “I doubt you’ll let yourself be humiliated. And frankly, I don’t believe you needed the training I was instructed to give you. You were capable enough. What you did during the obstacle course was enough proof of that,” Pierce said, getting off the wall and stopped by me.

“So, next time, try not to get any punishments. I’m reserving my strength to take you down on the training field,” he said seriously and walked down the corridor.

I scoffed. “And now he’s saying it’s my fault he lost interest in today’s event,” I said to myself and trudged down the opposite corridor, leaving the building.

I walked towards the main building, deciding to nag Miss Dawn into letting me eat pasta. Seriously, this is torture.

“Woah. I never saw you enter the main building. Except, well, when Miss Dawn had to meet you,” Captain Zenith said as he got near.

“Well, now, I had to meet her again unfortunately,” I said. “What for?” the captain asked curiously. “She banned me from eating pasta,” I answered bitterly.

Captain Zenith laughed. “I’m afraid you need a more valid reason to talk to her. She won’t entertain you if otherwise,” he said.

“Should I break another rule to meet her then?” I asked with a smirk. I wouldn't mind...

“I wouldn’t if I were you, Jesley. You already have a bad reputation with the school council. Don’t make it worse,” Captain Zenith said. “Psh, admit it. It already is,” I said, making Captain Zenith chuckle.

“Unfortunately, you’re right. Come on,” Captain Zenith said and walked towards the exit. “Where are you going?” I asked. Captain Zenith just gestured me to follow him.

I grunted as I looked towards where the Discipline Office is. Guess I’ll have to bother her later. I followed the captain as we passed by the students training on water. Daphne was there and she was winning her match easily. Of course she would. She was half-naiad after all.

We kept walking until we arrived at the sanatorium, the glass dome where I woke up. “What are we doing here?” I asked. “Save your questions, Jesley,” Captain Zenith said and entered the sanatorium.

I rolled my eyes and followed behind. There were some students inside, some were on cots and some were seated on the couch, bandages wrapped around arms and foreheads. I know I’m not sick or anything. Well, depending on the definition of ‘sick’.

“Captain Zenith. Oh! I see you’ve brought dear Jesley with you,” Mrs. Collins spoke as she spotted us.

“What’s that for?” I asked as I pointed at the small pot she was holding. It was full of pink liquid and had an aromatic smell.

“Oh, it’s for making a paralysis tonic. The pyromages foretold that we would need it. The reason why is still unknown though,” Mrs. Collins said and placed the pot on a table.

“So, why are we here again?” I looked at Captain Zenith, who sighed. “We can’t talk here,” he said, looking at the students present. Mrs. Collins dusted her hands and turned to us.

“Let’s go to my office. We can’t afford anyone to hear anything,” she said and led the way going to her office.

“What the heck is going on?” I asked, confused and all. None of them are answering me, which made me more pissed.