Strike Sixteen

~Jesley~

Daphne was rubbing her hands together as the boat glided on the water’s surface. It was clear that she was nervous since we are headed to the center of the Terpsikora tribe.

I read about them all in my dad’s library in the human world. They were the only people who did not join in the War of Descendants. They did not choose any side and prefer staying in their grounds and would get rid of anyone who messes with them.

As for their abilities, they play instruments that do different effects on whoever hears them. There could be effects on the one playing the instrument as well. But even if there was no instrument, I bet they were skilled. It’s the reason why no one messed with them.

Well, until I came along. I was a minor walking into their territory after all.

“Why won’t Pierce stay here in the boat? I made sure it wasn’t that cold,” Daphne asked as she looked up. Pierce was soaring through the air in the same speed as the boat.

“Well, he has some issues with boats. Don’t ask what,” Silver said seriously, though it was clear he was amused. “Tch, pussycat,” I muttered as I looked ahead.

My ears prickled when I heard a very faint and mischievous giggle. “Watch out!” Daphne said and pushed Silver aside. I dodged some jellyfishes and seaweeds that went flying into our boat.

I looked at where the rubbish came from and saw very small frilloes, small human-like creatures with butterfly wings and bug-like eyes. They also had sharp teeth.

Now I see why Daphne chose the word ‘devious’. These frilloes like to mess with people passing by any body of water.

“New toys!” a frillo cackled. “Let’s play darts!” another frillo tittered. I’m surprised they know a human game. I dodged a porcupine fish with a blank face while Daphne squealed as she ducked.

“Well, just in time. I’d like to squish some bugs today,” Silver grinned evilly as he summoned a python that was a few meters long and a few feet tall. The frilloes yelped in fright as the python hissed at them.

“No! Stop!” Daphne exclaimed and stood in front of the snake. “Why? These things are so annoying,” Silver complained. “So are you but I didn’t squish you like a bug, did I?” I blankly told him.

“Like heck would you be able to,” Silver smirked. I rolled my eyes, “Let Daphne handle this. She knows more about aquatic creatures.” I nodded at Daphne. She beamed and turned to where the frilloes are.

“Um, hi,” she said. “Hi, descendant toy!” a frillo replied and threw a clam at Daphne. Daphne ducked and looked at the frillo.

“Um, excuse me, little frilloes. Would you mind letting us pass by? We need to go somewhere immediately and we would really appreciate it if you won’t bother us. I do have some ill-tempered companions and they might do something bad if you wouldn’t comply,” Daphne spoke kindly to the devious river creatures.

“Is the descendant toy threatening us?” a frillo asked. “I think she is,” Silver nodded. “Ha! Hilarious!” the frilloes cackled in insult. I held Silver by the collar before he launches himself off-board to attack the frilloes.

“Look, lady. We know we’re little compared to you, prideful descendants, but we won’t follow what you wish for just because of that. We’re ants that can be squished when wanted to, aren’t we? Well, tell you what. We won’t let you pass until you give us something in return! Always asking us to do something like your race dominates,” a frillo sulked.

Daphne and I glanced at each other. “It does, actually,” I said bluntly. “Well, what about if I gave you this?” Daphne removed her bracelet and showed it to the frilloes. Their bug eyes glinted in awe.

“I-Is that jewelry?!” a frillo asked. “Not just any jewelry. It’s a bracelet created by the Snow clan to follow any order of anyone with aquatic affinities,” Daphne said, her chin held high.

“I’ll give it to all of you in two conditions,” Daphne said. “Name you conditions, descendant!” the frilloes chorused. It was a little creepy to me.

“One, let us pass safely by your place. And two, don’t use the bracelet to trick anyone, whether it’d be descendant or any race. Deal?” Daphne smiled. “Deal!” a frillo said and took the bracelet.

All the frilloes sitting on the rocks near us left and swam into the river while giggling. “Well, that was quick,” Silver said. “Did you really give your heirloom away so we can cross?” I asked.

“Do you think I’m that crazy?” Daphne said as she showed us a bracelet dangling inside her sleeves, “The bracelet I gave them was just a bracelet I made out of pearls and crystals. No biggie.”

***

It was past noon when we saw the turning point of the river. But what disturbed me was that on the riverbank was only full of trees. No person was in sight or anything. Just plain trees.

“Hey, Jes? Are you really sure we are in the right place?” Daphne asked. “Pfft, Jes? That’s a cute nickname,” Silver snickered. I glared at him and looked at my map.

“I’m sure the tribe lives here,” I said as my eyebrows furrowed. “Well, it’s not. So let’s turn around and get ourselves out of…here,” Silver muttered slowly. We all stayed quiet when we heard a faint tune of a flute.

My eyes widened when my body collapsed to the icy floor of the boat. “I… can’t move,” I grunted as I struggled to move my body. Daphne and Silver collapsed next, both groaning as they lay unmoving. “I think none of us can really,” Silver grunted as he tried to move.

“Its paralysis,” Pierce said as he landed on the boat. I first noticed his bleeding arm. He cut himself so he won’t be paralyzed. “Breezy,” I called out weakly.

The Yorkshire terrier I brought along trotted to my side, carrying my bag. “The paralysis tonic,” I told him.

Being the smart dog he is, he started sniffing the content of my bag and brought out a vile of amber liquid.

Pierce took the tonic and held it to my mouth. I drank it down and lied on the floor as my body tingled with electricity. I immediately got up when I could move my body.

Daphne and Silver were given tonics while I searched the place with my eyes, looking for the source of the enchanted music. That’s when we heard some cries followed by some masked people jumping into the boat. They pointed some weirdly built staffs at us.

“Their staffs look like modified flutes to me,” Daphne said in a hushed whisper. “I think they are modified flutes,” Silver said. That’s when it hit me.

“It’s them. The Terpsikora clan,” I muttered. The people chanted in some Ethyrian language I can’t fully comprehend.

Daphne was clinging to Pierce while whimpering in fear. It was a little shocking Pierce didn’t give her a blank stare.

“Hey!” I yelped angrily as one of the masked people grabbed me by the arm and looked at my face closely.

“Personal space, weirdo,” I said. The person faced his allies and said something I can’t understand. One of his allies replied and the person holding me looked at me and the rest.

“You’re coming with us. Make a move, you die,” he said as he pointed the staff at my neck. “Yeah, whatever,” I said and yelp again when the person dragged me harshly. Savage idiots.