Ch. 6: Into the Caverns part 1

Chapter song: Black Soul by Shinedown
*******************
*******************

The skiff wasn't very big but it would do to get us to our final destination. While Imam and his sons went back to the water pump to get it started, Johns, Fry, and I stayed at the emergency vessel. I don't trust Fry one damn minute in flying this craft off the planet. Not after what she tried to do on the Hunter Gratzner. Johns must trust her to a degree to be letting her check over the ship's condition...either that or he's really desperate to get off this sandy planet to deliver Riddick. Well if he ever captures him again.

"No juice. It looks like it's been laid up for years but we might be able to adapt it to the..." I turned my head towards the distance boom sound echoing through the atmosphere.

"Shut up!" Johns' head snapped over towards the distant booming, "Sorry, I thought I heard something." He apologized to Fry.

"Like what?"

"Gunshots." I stated before turning around. As he turned as well, another round of shots echoed through the air.

Jack...I need to get to her! I raced away from Johns and Fry. By the time they got back to the bone yard, I was halfway through it. I pushed my legs harder to go faster. My beast desperately wanted out so my running would be even quicker but I kept it at bay. My legs felt like they were on fire as I finally saw the ship but something was wrong. I stopped running and watched Shazza, Jack, and Paris running towards the tall dirt spires. I breathed in the air and the smell of blood hit my nose immediately. My head snapped over to the spires to see Riddick running away seconds after Shazza, Jack, and Paris arrived. I ran towards the spires just in time to see Johns taking down Riddick.

"Jack!" I yelled making her turn in my direction. Jack ran to me and wrapped her arms around my waist.

"What did you do to Zeke?!" I heard Shazza yell. Jack and I both looked over towards Johns just as Shazza kicked him in the face knocking him out.

Fry grabbed an angry Shazza and pulled her away from Riddick as Johns subdued him. My eyes shifted from them to the hole where Zeke had been attempting to bury the dead.

"Jack stay here." I said walking over to the gravesite. I pulled back the tarp letting the powerful blood smell enter my senses. The dug out hole was covered in blood but the majority of the blood was at the top of the grave. I tilted my head as I saw another hole leading into the ground. The blood seemed to lead into the hole. I looked up as Johns and Imam dragged an unconscious Riddick towards the ship. I walked around the grave and bent down to see the knife Johns had given me laying at the top along with Riddick's footprints. The knife didn't have a single drop of blood on it. Whatever's under the ground making the scratching sounds were now screeching. There's no way Riddick had taken this man's life.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I stepped into the broken down ship with Jack as she explained the first round of gunshots that I heard. She said that everyone was on high alert when Paris asked Shazza and her if they had made a noise. When another survivor had showed up at the entrance Zeke accidentally shot him because he thought he was Riddick. The way Jack described the man I could see where Zeke could become confused.

"Skylar, how did you get here before the others?" Jack questioned as I dug through my back pack and handed her one of the melted candy bars. I could hear the others talking outside about the first round of gunshots as well.