Ch. 12: The Gauntlet

**Chapter Song: Monsters by Shinedown**
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Riddick and I went back to the sled to find the group gone. I sighed heavily and looked down seeing their footprints heading back. We followed them until we stopped right in front of them just feet away. I watched Fry look behind her before she crashed right into Riddick's chest.

"Back to the ship, huh?" Riddick questions Fry as he crosses his arms over his chest.

"Get out of our way."

"So everybody huddles together till the lights burn out? Until you can't see what's eating you? That the big plan?" I asked curiously with a cock of my head.

"Where's Mr. Johns?"

"Which half?" Riddick inquired turning his attention to Imam.

"You mean? Oh God we're gonna lose everybody out here..." I pushed passed Fry as I walked over to Jack. I wrapped my arms around the frightened girl.

"He died fast."

"And if we got any choice that's the way we should all go out." Riddick walked over to me and Jack as tears threatened to fall from her eyes, "Don't you cry for Johns. Don't you dare." Riddick whispered to her. Jack straightened up composing herself at Riddick's words. My hand rubbed over her back in comfort as we all headed back to the sled despite Fry's last ditch effort to head back.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Once we got back to the sled with the power nodes, Imam and I grabbed the straps and began to pull. Riddick led us a few hundred yards more until we came to the beginning of the canyon. Riddick stood there looking over everything.

"What do you see?" Fry questioned Riddick as she joined him. He didn't answer for a second. I knew there had to be a shit ton of them just by the noise.

"We can't make it."

"Well we got to try. We've come this far." She said looking down into the canyon as if she could see the beast's that lurk there. I didn't need to see to know how many.

"I only see one way. Ditch the sled and head straight through the middle burning everything we got."

"What about the power nodes?" Fry questioned.

"I'll take those as I lead you all through. Skylar will be in the back making sure no one gets picked off." Fry nodded her head and we got to work. While everyone was making sure the remaining bottles were filled, Riddick and I took the power nodes off the sled and began securing them together with the straps and chains we used to pull the sled. We were almost finished when Imam approached us.

"Would you mind if I prayed with you? I've already prayed with the others."

"What for?" Riddick answered as I tied another strap to a node.

"It's just a blessing. Practically painless."

"And pointless." I spoke looking up at the holy man as Riddick concentrated on making a harness so he could pull the nodes better.