Chapter Ten

"Ah!" Elena and Elaine screamed when they realized that there was a person standing on the porch. "It is the ghost!" They ran around the kitchen, their bags flying in the air, and finally ducked under the kitchen table and covered their necks with their hands as if they were preparing for an earthquake.

I did not move from the doorway and squinted at the figure. There was something familiar about this person.

I examined the outline and said, "Dejah?"

The figure took a step towards me, and I flipped the switch. The lights from the kitchen flickered on and revealed who was right in front of me.

I was right. It was Dejah.

"Dejah," I repeated her name. "It is a surprise to see you here. In the dead of night."

She was holding a brown box with tape all over it. She was wearing a nightdress that was similar to mine and her hijab. My sisters wear cute pajamas.

"What time is it?" she asked me.

I unzipped my bag and went through my stuff. "Good question. Let me check." I pulled out my phone and pushed a button to turn it on. It immediately obeyed, and I checked the clock that was located at the top of the screen. "Dang. It is almost one o'clock in the morning."

A small piece of her hair was peeking out of her hijab, and she stuffed it back in. "Dang it. I only slept for three hours."

I shoved my phone back in my backpack. "What are you doing here? Is something wrong?"

"I...just want to know...what those sounds were."

"What sounds? Screams? 'Cause—"

She cut me off. "Not screams. More like...music."

"Music?"

Elena and Elaine scurried out from under the table and to either side of me.

"You heard music too?" Elena questioned.

Dejah eyed my two sisters and had a scared look on her face. My guess was that she was shy because she had never seen them before. "Who are they?"

"They are my sisters. They are sweet and kind," I reassured her.

"Like you?"

"Like me."

"Hi. You must be Dejah," Elena and Elaine greeted at the same time. "Our big sister told us so much about you."

She let out a giggle. "I hope that they were good things."

"Definitely," Elaine responded with confidence. "Back to the strange music. What kind of music did you hear?"

"Are you not going to tell me your names? And it was music coming from a piano."

"Aha! My suspicion was correct!"

Elena rested her head on my leg. "My name is Elena." She motioned to her sister. "Her name is Elaine."

"What unique names."

"Yeah, and there is a ghost in our house."

My friend raised an eyebrow. "A ghost?"

"Yeah. It is a boy ghost who was hiding in my and Elaine's closet and spying on us."

Elaine pointed in the direction of the living room. "You must have heard our piano playing."

"That is one of the reasons why I am came here."

I felt bad that my best friend was awaken from her slumber by the piano. "I am sorry."

"You do not need to be sorry," Elena scolded me. "Nobody except the ghost."

"Why does the ghost need to say sorry?" Dejah asked.

"He is the one who disturbed your and our sleep!" Elaine snapped. "He played the piano for a while. We saw! Even Eleanor."

Dejah's eyes locked on me. "Are you sure that there is a ghost?"

I shrugged. "I guess." I leaned forward and whispered in her ear. "I am only saying that because my sisters are convinced that we have a ghost, but I have a sneaky hunch that we had an intruder who is gone now. I checked the whole house from top to bottom."

"Oh my." She pointed to our bags. "And why do you have bags?"

"We are moving in the morning and decided to sleep in the car tonight because of the ghost," Elena and Elaine said in unison once again.

"Wait. You are moving, Eleanor? You and your family?"

"Yep."

"To where?"

"The same town where you and your parents are moving to. Forlot."

Dejah's mouth dropped open, and the package almost slipped from her grasps.

Was it a coincidence that my family was moving to the same place as hers? I think not!

"This is...awesome!" Dejah exclaimed happily. "You and me. And our families. In the same town."

"I am just happy that we will not be separated," I confessed to her.

"And we will be away from the bad ghost!" both of my sisters cried.

A smile appeared on her face. "This is just...so cool. Like a dream that has come true." She glanced down at the package, and then back at me and handed it to me. "I am also here to give you this package. It has your address and was delivered to my house instead."

"Oh. Thanks."

"Anything for the friend who saved my life."

She waved goodbye and started strolling away. I was about to close the door, when she suggested something.

"Seeing that we are heading to the same location, would you...like to carpool?"

I kept the door open a crack. "Carpool?"

"With me and my parents. Our car has room for one more. I am sure that they will not mind. I mean, you are part of the reason why I am still alive."

"Sure!"

"Excellent."

She walked off our porch, and I shut the door and opened the package. Inside was a wooden puppet. He had brown and orange hair and was wearing a green, long-sleeved shirt with jeans and shoes.

I set the box on the table and was about to take the puppet out when I heard my phone vibrating. I took it out and examined the screen. It was a recent text.

"I cannot wait for you to come, cutie, and make you happy."