Chapter Nineteen

"I...I..." I stumbled back and would have collided into my locker if James had not reacted immediately and grabbed my wrists.

"Whoa there," he said. He carefully set me back upright and let go of me. "Are you okay?"

I wanted to be okay. I needed to be alright. But I knew better. I was not.

I slowly took my puppet and hugged it tightly. I read what was on the note one more time before ripping it up and throwing the pieces in a trash bin that was by the lockers. I was sweating like crazy, and my hands and legs were quivering uncontrollably.

"Eleanor? Are you feeling like yourself?" James questioned me, holding out his hands and preparing to grab me in case that I was on my way to falling to the floor.

I could not speak. Not a single word. It was as if fear was holding my tongue and keeping me from communicating with the boy whom I was crushing on.

Yes, I had a crush on him. Deal with it.

James put an arm around my waist and led me out of the school. "I should take you home."

I definitely did not desire to go home. Not after what Dejah told me. That my family and I were living in
the house where a girl was murdered!

We stepped outside and started walking down the sidewalk. I desperately wanted to tell James what I had gone through and why I should not return home. But like I said before, my fear was keeping me silent.

We were coming up to my house - and the graveyard across the street - and I decided to take a look at the graveyard just for the heck of it.

And my eyes widened.

There was a girl in the cemetery. A human girl. And it was none other than Layla.

Layla was on her knees and in front of a gravestone that was near the street. There were two candles that flickered, one on either side of her. And she was talking because I saw her mouth moving.

What was she doing?