15- Just A Boy You Won't Understand

"Comparing the equations, we get displacement equals to initial velocity multiplied by time plus half of the product of acceleration and the square of time. And this-", I encircle the derived formula with my pen, "-is the second equation of motion."

Adam blinks, looking at me in a way that I quickly imagine a cloudy question mark above his head. "English, please."

I sigh loudly, my mouth running dry thanks to the explanation in the past five minutes. Why had I ever agreed to help him with his holiday lessons, I would never know. Maybe because this sly brat knew that I won't ever deny tutoring him, especially when he'd 'request' me to do so in front of Joan. Or maybe because I supposed I could have some fun ordering him around to clean his room, which was a condition I put forward for my temporary torture- I mean, tution.

Half an hour later, after having taken out his lone dirty sock from the dustbin and tossing it into the laundry basket, we'd finally settled down beside his bed with a small study table in between us.

"This is Physics, what did you expect? That you'd get to learn the Nursery Rhymes?"

"But still. . .", he pouts, tracing small circles on the table in front, "Atleast slow down a bit."

"Are you always this dazed with your concentration dancing outside the window?" I raise my voice, slamming a fist upon the table. "Because I remember you playing music without losing focus for even a second."

"Stop nagging me! It's only because-" He freezes, gaze dropping down. With restless finger tapping, I resist the urge to yell at him for being a careless student and irking me using his 'how can you be so strict to someone like me' behaviour. Solely because his mother has a guest visiting today, who's apparently the head of the kindergarten Adam used to attend and also where Joan has the job of a teacher.

It was hilarious when the principal pinched Adam's cheek rather un-gently upon her arrival, happy to see one of her older students. We were commanded to stay upstairs and not make any noise- which unfortunately also included my loud voice screaming at him.

"Abbey called today", he admits suddenly, tone soft.

"So?!" I lean against my hand supported by my elbow, and flip over the pages of his book absent-mindedly. Too many questions, I think.

"Isn't that supposed to be good news?"

"Yeah, but. . ." There's a tinge of sadness in his voice, and I can't help but wonder what could've happened for him to be reacting like this.

"We were talking, when I heard a guy's voice in the back. Not like an old man that could've been her dad, but. . .someone around our age, maybe slightly older. I don't know, but ever since my head's been spinning around, and. . .and I'm thinking if maybe she decided to choose someone else for the project we promised to work on together."

I meet his sullen face as I look up from the book, and he continues with a small, sad smile. "It was stupid of me to wish we could ever be more than just friends, when she probably doesn't even consider us friends. I think I should just give up on any hope."

She literally went on a date with you, idiot.

"I see you're quite of an over thinker." I note instead, listening to his theory, "But you know, maybe you're right. Just give up on her and save yourself from all the heartbreak." I mention the last word in air quotations.

"As if that's easy." He shoots back a disappointing look full of slitted glares, clearly missing the joke. "Hey, what would you do if you were in my place?"

I pretend to be in deep speculation, stroking my chin and staring into a distance. "Let's see. . .if I'm a hundred percent sure that the person I like, likes someone else, then I'm not even going to try in the first place. Why waste the energy you gained after eating all the nice food?" I pat my stomach twice.