8- Good Time

"So what do you think I should wear?" I ask, waving a pair of denim jeans held up by narrow straps running over a plain white t-shirt that hangs underneath.

"This?" I swing another outfit in front of the previous one, this time a simple striped cotton dress. ". . .or this?"

Adam shifts his focus from the TV to my little show, barely for a second before switching back again to whatever he was watching. He raises up the remote and instead tries changing the channels. "The green one, I guess."

"Green-?" I glance at the outfits, lifting up the second one. "Do you mean this? It's turquoise, not green."

"Same thing. Now would you move away a little? You're blocking the TV." He says bluntly, still struggling with the controller.

"It's not the same, Adam, you aren't even listening!" I retort back, collapsing on the carpeted floor before bringing myself into a sitting position, dropping my head. "I would've asked your mother had she not been in the shower for the past twenty minutes. You on the other hand, aren't even an ounce of help!"

"I really can't help it, Madison. I've been sitting here for over an hour and you guys aren't even, like, twenty percent ready."

I lift up my head sharply, glaring at him narrow eyed. Although I'm clearly aware that he's right, I'm not willing to admit it- atleast not now. He's already all dressed up in a full sleeved red t-shirt and dark blue trousers, now relaxing on the couch for the past hour and waiting for both of us so that we can finally go to the theatre today- almost a week after Mrs. Young announced the news.

"Okay, okay. Let me see."

He sighs and walks over, plopping down infront of me cross-legged. "Well. . .I think the green- I mean the turquoise one is nice. It's striped, and stripes are awesome. It looks comfortable, and should go well with the converse shoes you have. The weather is warm today so it'll also be cool in this outfit."

Looking at him pouting, and somehow in the most girly voice ever, I squeak. "Really?"

"Really." He smiles.

Mrs. Young finally enters a while later, all dressed up and good to go as her sweet shower scent diffuses in the air. I immediately stand up and again, display both the outfits in front of her, asking with a pleading grin.

"Help me out of my dilemma, please?"

"The denim one." She answers after five seconds of thought. "You'd look good in it."

My face instantly lits up and I broaden my smile, beaming from ear to ear. "Exactly what I was thinking. Thanks a lot Mrs. Young!"

She chuckles. "As I've told before, you can call me Joan."

"Wait-" I look over at Adam who wears a bemused expression. "What?!"

I blink. "What?"

Mrs. Young adds. "What?"

"Then why did you-" He exhales deeply, muttering under his breath something about women before heading out for the door.

"Nevermind. . ."

-

Joan drives her car into the parking lot of the Northwood Cinema theatre. Through the windscreen that reflects more sunlight than it should have, I can see by squinting my eyes a crowd gathering outside for the latest Disney movie, one we were fortunate enough to get to watch. I only came to know about the name of the movie two days ago, when Adam brought up in a related conversation something about an arrogant king who gets transformed into a llama.