9- A Thousand Words

It's almost six- thirty by the time we make it home, after all the grocery shopping and purchases of other sorts despite Adam clearly protesting against the decision. Riding shotgun, he kept rambling on every now and then about how much he hates shopping, how his mind deems itself clueless everytime entering a store full of people, and how their obnoxious noise makes him forget the list of items he's supposed to buy. It's interesting to note though, that he wasn't concerned about ranting on in front of me or his mother, something which was unlike his shy, reclusive nature.

"The Imperial's New Groove was actually an amazing movie, you know." He announces from the front seat. "It wasn't as bad as I'd thought. Though I don't know why that guy wanted so badly to become a human again. If I were a llama I would've lived happily in the jungle with little to no people to interact with."

"You probably don't know this but llamas are pretty smart and social." I declare, yawning. "If not people, you'd have to live with animals."

"It doesn't matter, I'll be a lone llama. . ." He says after a second of thought.

"You won't be able to eat pizzas and icecream," Mrs. Young states, not detaching her focus from the road.

"And you also won't be doing all those music stuff." I add from the backseat.

"And you won't be able to play video games."

"I. . .I think I can live without all that." He gulps. Joan eyes him for a moment, as if giving a we-both-know-you're-lying look. He exhales out heavily, rolling his eyes.

"Okay, okay! I take my words back. Not like it's physically possible for me to become a llama even if I wanted to." He frowns, looking in my direction. "Speaking of llamas, my foot still hurts because of you Maddie. I'm sorry but I'm kind of. . .mad at you. You could've chosen to step on a different foot either times, at least the pain wouldn't have been as bad if distributed. But no, you actually had the guts to stomp on the same foot twice, and oh, why am I still talking to you? I'm really angry, by the way. But you know, I just realised something. . ."

I pretty much zone out after the I'm mad at you statement. Mad my foot - no pun intended. Who in the world would apologize for being mad during the time they're mad? As far as I know him, the most he can be angry at someone is for five minutes; Adam's clearly not the type to hold grudges.

Closing my eyelids shut and plonking myself in the backseat of the car, I soak in the feeling of the aching muscles of my limbs. It's a good kind of exhaustion- one which is an indication of spending a long and recreational day with your 'family', which is exactly what the Youngs have started to feel like to me now.

Then there's my own parents- my family forever, whom I haven't seen in over a week. Who knew that the last short and brisk goodbye I'd bid to them was literally going to be the final one for us? A sharp pang of longing for them thrusts me in the chest, creating a void that I never knew had always been filled up by them.

I miss mom and dad.

The familiar view of the house approaches closer as Joan decelerates the car and the roar of the engine slowly dies down. Getting out, I turn around- the divine view of sunset meets my eyes and I can't help myself but crack a weak smile. The air is still warm, but not as much because the enormous source of heat has now just dipped below the horizon, letting the world rest for the next half of the day.

Walking closer, I see a tall, manly figure standing beside the doorstep, holding a cell phone to his ears.

"I know, officer. . .I was just asking if you could keep her safely for a while," he mutters, "It shouldn't be hard. . ."