22- Ecstacy

October arrives soon amidst hectic school life, escalating chillness, and autumn hues gradually coating over the entire town. Clouds occasionally decide to parade in and ruin about one out of every three plans made in Yorkville, while children on my way back home indulge in serious discussions on whether the season is called 'fall' because of falling leaves, falling temperature, or the random bouts of rain.

Stepping out of a quaint, warm-scented café, crisp wind wraps my face as I walk ahead on the coffee brown exit pavement. Vibrations in my left jean pocket make me slide up the hem of my turtleneck and pull out the ringing phone.

"Are you done?" Amelia chimes as soon as I pick up, leaving me surprised on her perfect timing. "Did it go well? What do you think?"

I adjust the sling bag over my shoulder, heading out towards the main road. "I got the job," I declare with a proud grin, "They want me to join starting from Saturday."

"Really?! I'm so happy for you!" she exclaims in an elated tone, "It's a nice place, isn't it?"

"Beautiful. How did you find a spot like this? And you dared not tell me?!"

"You're not the only person I hang out with, you know." She says, jabbing at my heart.

"Ouch."

"I know I'm a heartbreaker, but don't cry." She jokes. "You know Julie? The class pres who lives close in our neighborhood? That café is actually her uncle's. I visit there often whenever you get too studious to even reply to my texts. And when you said you were looking for a part time job just after Julie told me they wanted a part timer, I thought to myself, what a timing!"

"Woah, so much going on behind my back."

"Atleast thank me for the favour, miss ungrateful. I even put in a good word for you."

"Thanks." I say dryly with an intention to annoy her.

"Sounds like you're the one doing me a favour."

"Nope, I'm serious." I slow down to a halt, my teasing smile fading away. "I just realised. . .I never even thanked you for saving me that day, did I?"

A quiet pause follows in the next second. "You mean the day of the accident? Come on Maddie, you should forget about it already. And it's not like I saved you, I just did what anyone would have done."

"Still, I can't. . ." I stare down at my shoes, a stray bronze leaf peeling itself off of the sidewalk. "I know it's been more than four months, but I can't forget that incident. It's not as easy. . .and I haven't even found the ones behind all of it."

"You're still searching for them?!" Amelia bursts, almost as if I was committing a crime. "Don't you think doing so will only stress you more? I'm saying this all for your sake, Maddie. And who knows, what if the people you're looking for don't even exist right now?"

I rack my brain, trying to collect sense from her words. "What do you mean?"

"Nothing. . .forget it. I'm just saying you should stop playing detective. We have no idea how dangerous these folks can be, you know?"

"You're right. . .", I curl my lips inside, "Sorry for making you worry. And thanks. . .anyways."

"Now you're sounding genuine, good! I'll take the thanks, save the sorry for later."

I chuckle, nodding once. "Alright. I'm hanging up, bye."

"Byeee! Congrats on your part time job again! Don't forget to treat me tomorrow 'kay? You know what I like! Tasty crisp chicken-"

I cut off her sentence with a phone tap, shoving the device back to where it was as I shake my head in amusement. As another gust of wind transiently rustles the leaves above me, I wonder what she meant by 'them' not existing at all.