27- Epilogue

The pre-setting sun bathes the entire plaza in front of his apartment building in a soft orange glow. There's a beautiful fountain located centrally, the water of which sparkles as it spurts out. Children enjoy slides in a small play area, while others are having a walk with their pets, jogging, or simply relaxing on the few benches present.

In front of me Adam inadvertently strolls in long strides, leaving me behind with my short legs. I fight back the strong urge to lecture him about what 'escorting' someone out actually means.

"You should've stayed until dinner with your friends. Mom would've loved that."

"I wish." I sprint forward, slightly running out of breath. "But I have errands to do. Amelia and Riley must be busy too. We all have school tomorrow, after all."

"Bummer." He shoves hands in pockets. "I thank God everyday I don't have to go school anymore. It's an amazing feeling, really. You should try– oh wait, you can't!"

He pauses to have a good laugh, my glare about to shoot lasers as I slow down to a halt.

"Way to rub it in my face."

"What?!" He continues to fail suppressing that grin. "I thought you liked school, Miss Diligent."

Fed up at last with his antics, I'm about to supply him with a fine kick to the leg when he reaches out his arm out of the blue and removes a leaf off of my head. For some annoyingly familiar reason, it carries away all my frustration.

"What about next Saturday? Are you free?"

Still distracted from his simple act, it takes me a while to register the question. I answer him only after scouring mentally through my next week schedule.

"There's a test coming up on Friday, so Saturday should be clear. Why?"

"Nothing much. Was wondering if you'd like to attend this concert. I got some free tickets, you can bring your friends too."

"Sweeet!" I sing with enthusiasm, mood switching instantly at the thought of a free night out. "You sure are using your connections nicely. Which band is it? Do I know them?" 

Adam passes me a neutral look, one that tended more towards the I'm-trying- so-hard-not-to-laugh scale. His response is about to make me confused when I realise the reason behind it– and it slowly makes me suck a loud, primal like non-human breath. 

"Y-you. . ." I cup my mouth with both hands, unable to stop my jaw from dropping to the floor. "For real?!"

"Save that reaction for when you see me on stage." He half winks, proud as a peacock.

"Set. . .setlist! Show me the setlist!" I grab the hem of his jacket and start flailing it to and fro. "Are you playing Hot Air Balloon?! You better play Hot Air Balloon or I'll kill you! It's my favorite song!"

"Wooah! Alright, alright!" He stabilizes himself against my vigorous forces and manages to unwind my tight clasp on his clothes. With his hands now limiting movements of my entire fists, he crouches down to my eye level and flashes a small smile.

"We're playing Hot Air Balloon, happy?"

My smile grows ear to ear of it's own accord, and my heart feels like it'll burst into colors from all this excitement. I'm so pumped up I can actually start dancing around if it wasn't for the public, so I suppress my impulses and start bouncing instead.

"Eeek! I can't wait for Saturday! Oh my gosh! You're crazy!!"

"I did good, right?" He says after a while, and it throws me off.

A whisper of breeze follows the few squealing kids who run across the field beside us. I clutch the chain of my sling bag, my smile fading a little.

"What do you mean?"