14- Sorrow Swept Over Me

The view infront of me is a disaster. Pieces of shattered glass are dispersed on the floor, Joan standing before it with parted lips and her hands mid air as if holding an invisible dish- and last but not the least, Adam in his signature position down in a lovely meeting with the ground.

"At this point I think you two should start introducing yourselves to each other", I speak from my place with a smirk, watching below. "You and the floor, I mean."

"Not again." He pushes himself up, ignoring my remark and looking over at me with a painful frown on his face. "I'm pretty sure it was you this time."

"What- were you. . ." Joan cut in in a weak voice, wide-eyed and puzzled as if my flour coated face wasn't enough of a proof of what events had occurred in the previous five minutes.

"Just removing dirt from Madison's eye, but I guess her way of saying thank you is pushing me off of the countertop." Adam answers her, although facing in my direction with a scowl. He switches back to his mother, and next at the shards of glass lying on the floor. "How did. . .this happen? You okay?"

"Oh." She says, shaking her head with a smile. "No. . .nothing, I'm okay. Just lost in thoughts. "

"I wonder what is your problem with my face," I comment blandly, jumping from the counter to rinse off my face in the basin.

"It was a mistake!"

"Was not." I hurl back wiping my face with a towel, very well knowing he was telling the truth but unable to think of any better comeback.

"Stop it you two." Joan orders, lowering down and crouching to pick up the broken pieces one by one. Her wrist is instantly clutched by Adam who now has crawled near the mess, as he slowly and cautiously takes the sharp piece from between her fingers.

"I'll do it." He insists. I walk to them to do the same, wondering what thoughts had been running inside her mind.

"Oh and Adam?" Joan looks over at him as he throws the broken remains into the bin, and once he faces her back, she continues in a stern tone. "I noticed you digged out one of your old toys from the basement and kept it on the living room table. May I know exactly what was your thought process behind all that? You know I hate it when you misplace your things, even as a kid you'd-"

"Mom." He interjects, brows furrowed. "I have no idea what you're talking about. I never got anything from the basement, why would I play with those stuff when I'm old enough to drive a car?"

"Then who could've. . ." she pauses, fixing her blank gaze at him. Then, with the same expression, the mother-son duo slowly move their heads to look at me, causing me to crack an apologetic smile.

"Um. . .", I chuckle in mild embarrassment, "I've always wanted to play with those kind of control cars. So when I saw one in the basement, I couldn't help. . ."

"No worries, Maddie!", Joan assures with a beam of smile, "If you want you can also play with Adam here."

"Who said I ever want to?!" He complains, throwing his hands up in the air. "Besides, it doesn't have batteries-"

"Do as you're told." Joan threatens him with a strict glare. Adam groans, watching me with baring teeth as I flash him an evil grin.

As soon as Joan places the final cake mixture into the oven, I wash my hands and rush to the drawing room, Adam following suit with no interest whatsoever. We install a new set of batteries into the two mini cars, four in each of them.

"I doubt you can even control this properly, let alone win the race." I state with a fake yawn, secretly hoping my words to spark a sense of competition into him. He glances at me sideways in suspicion, a moment later grabbing the remote from the table. I smirk, realising he fell for the trap.