Summer Nights

Monse hurried quickly down the block to Jamal's house. She'd lived on the same block all her life, even though it was gang territory, she always felt safe there. That didn't mean she was willing to hang around in the dark and tempt fate. Particularly when the Santos weren't making any noise. The first thing you learn in the hood is that silence is never a good thing.

She jogged across the road, visibly relaxing once she was on the walkway up to Jamal's front door.

"Ya loca, where you been?" A familiar voice called from behind her

Monse spun on her heel to face her friend "It's been less than 24 hours since you've seen me Cesar"

"I know, I just missed your face." He teased, walking up and slinging an arm around her neck.

"Can't say I felt the same" she sassed back

Cesar chuckled good naturedly and rolled his eyes, "can't say I feel the same way about your mouth either."

They climbed the steps up to Jamal's front door and Monse knocked loudly. A moment later the door was yanked open to reveal Ruby and Jamal bickering.

"You guys always do this! You always forget about me!" Jamal whined, not bothering to acknowledge Monse or Cesar as they walked in.

Ruby huffed, "we don't forget about you, we don't tell you things because you can't keep your mouth shut!"

"What the hell is going on?" Monse asked

Both boys fell silent, and for a moment the four friends just stared at one another. Monse put both hands on her hips and gave Jamal a pointed look, breaking his resolve in an instant.

"Cesar and Ruby went to a Santos party last night and didn't tell us!" Jamal snapped, earning a groan from Ruby and a nasty look from Cesar.

Monse was floored, "you went where!?"

"It wasn't like that!" Ruby insisted, "I was at Cesar's house playing video games, and some of Oscar's buddies came by and asked if they could hang out on the lawn. We were inside most of the time, they were smoking on the porch."

Monse turned her attention to Cesar who seemed unwilling to speak. "Why would you let them stay?"

"It wasn't really up to me. Letty was with them, she lives there too!" He explained

"Letty? Your brother's trashy girlfriend?" Jamal asked

Cesar only nodded.

"I know Letty lives in your house, but I thought she stopped bringing Oscar's friends around?" Monse asked

Cesar shrugged, "that was before, when her and my brother weren't on good terms. She went up to visit him last week, and as soon as she came back, my house was the spot again. She doesn't like let them inside though. I think my brother is getting possessive."

Monse contemplated this information while Jamal steamed.

"So? What does that have to do with you not inviting me to hang out!" Jamal demanded

Ruby rolled his eyes, "you were with your parents! We weren't doing anything fun anyway until the fucking bangers showed up."

This peaked Monse's attention, "Fun? What is fun about hanging with Oscar's boys? They literally kill people."

"They were just nice to us is all. They rolled Ruby a joint so he'd chill out." Cesar laughed

Monse didn't find it funny.

"I didn't even smoke it!" Ruby argued, "I saved it for tonight! That's what I was trying to tell you, Jamal, before you freaked out for no reason."