Wide Awake (Jungkook)

Italics mean flashback

It's been a little bit more than a week since I've last been able to sleep. I know the reason, but I don't know why this is happening now. I can't let the hyungs know though, they already worry about me too much. Every time I try to close my eyes, I see his face, which makes them shoot right open again. The words he said to me which I'd never repeat out loud keep playing again and again like a broken record player in my head. Every place he touched me would start to burn as if all the fire from hell came up to Earth just to swallow me whole. I take deep breaths in an attempt to calm myself down before I lazily flop on my side and gaze at the alarm clock reading 5:37 AM. I slowly ease myself out of bed, making sure to not to wake up Hoseok hyung.

Not even the pitter-patter of my feet can be heard as I make my way to the bathroom. I close the white door, which makes a subtle squeaking noise before turning on the bright lights, now illuminating the room. I take a moment to gaze at my face. The bags right under my dull eyes are about as prominent as my cheekbones, which stick out due to me skipping meals. I let out a heavy sigh as I ruffle my thin, oily hair. I then proceed to steal Jimin-hyung's makeup supplies and proceed to cover the unhealthiness prominent on my face. I use the foundation to appear less pale, the lip tint to cover the now bluish color of my lips, and the blush to add a more natural tint on my cheeks.

I tiptoe back into the room Hoseok-hyung and I share, quickly throwing on my favorite yellow hoodie in an attempt to cover my bony body. I carefully turn around the corner, hoping to not wake up Hoseok hyung, just to see him sitting up yawning while rubbing his left eye with a fist. The little shock I received immediately turned into guilt as I slowly made my way towards him. Burying the heavy feeling in my chest, I whip out a smile as I plop myself on his bed. "Good morning hyung! Did you have a good night's rest?"

He looks at me with a soft smile and responds. "Good morning to you too, little one. What time is it?" I eagerly crane my neck to take a look at the black digital clock on my nightstand.

"It's 6:41, hyung." I immediately frown, remembering that he didn't tell me if he got enough sleep last night. I noticed, but I decide not to tell him directly. "You should rest, it's still pretty early. We don't have to help Jiminie-hyung and Tae-hyungie with the weekly groceries unt-"

"I slept fine, Jungkook. I don't matter right know. Did you get enough sleep, Jungkook?" He cuts me off and looks at me with his brown eyes, deep as the ocean. The firm gaze he holds sends shivers down my spine as I forget how to move for a few moments. My eyes waver and travel down to my sweaty palms and the off-white sheets I don't acknowledge that I'm clenching.

"I m-mean I-"

"Don't lie to me." I snap my neck to look up at him. His once gentle look turned hard and cold, an expression I haven't seen in a long time.

.-^-.-^-.

"DON'T LIE TO ME!" Yet another glass is heard shattering on the floor which causes me to visibly flinch. Next thing I know, I'm suspended in the air unable to breathe. "I'm asking you one more time:" Uncle spits out harshly, "where. were. you??" I open my mouth to say something but nothing comes out. This leaves me staring like a terrified idiot at the pint-sized yet short-tempered man towering over me.

He chucks me into the nightstand and I scream out in agony, startled by the sudden violent impact. I can feel my blood seeping from the white school uniform onto the navy blue blazer on top, acting as a glue sticking the two pieces together. My eyes well up with tears as my calloused fingers lightly graze over my spine, checking for any unusual contortions. My only biological family member yanks my arm away and tilts my face up so that his harsh cold orbs meet my fragile ones. 

His big hand clutches my jaw, squeezing and mercilessly applying pressure on my newly formed bruise, resulting in the letting out of my first whimper. He stands up once more and kicks me again for good measure before smirking wildly. This is when realization smacks me in the face and I ogle at him, terror racing through my veins. He picks up a needle with a blue serum at its tube end and stabs it into my forearm before saying one last thing to me. 

"You've been bad today, haven't you, _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _? You definitely deserve what's coming for you, baby boy."

A/N: Why do you think there are dashes at the end of the question? And what's "coming for" Jungkook?

Also completely unrelated: Thank you so much for waiting patiently (if I still have any readers)! I took the long hiatus because my grades were suffering and I need to sort out some personal things... but I also pre-wrote a few chapters to help me stay on time with the updates! As for my update schedule, I'm probably going to post a new chapter a week. Thanks for reading this dead book!

- Maria <3