Chapter Twenty-Four

I didn't talk to them anymore. Kahit tapunan sila ng tingin ay hindi ko ginawa. It makes me feel guilty, knowing the way I'm acting hurts Kinsley's mother but I don't really want to be sent to a mental facility. Kahit na sabihin pang private ito at mukhang hotel.

Noah tried to explain his mother's side. How she's only worried about me. I understand where she's coming from. I know that this is what she thinks to be best for me but it still doesn't make me hate the situation less.

"Do you want something, Kinsley?" Mariah softly asked.

I didn't answer. I remained looking at the window kahit wala naman akong nakikita kundi ang langit. I heard Mariah let out a heavy sigh.

"I'll call your doctor para ma-discharge ka na," she said.

I can feel her eyes on me but I continued ignoring her. I kept my eyes on the window. Hindi na siya nagsalita ulit. There was a brief silence before the door opened and closed.

I looked away from the window to check if Noah came with his mother but I found him leaning by the wall. I pursed my lips and brought back my gaze to the window.

"You know that we're just worried about you, right?"

"I want to see Jakob," I retorted, ignoring what he said.

Noah was silent that I had to look at him for response. He grunted and pushed himself off the wall. "Fine."

Naglakad siya palabas ng kwarto. I watched the door and waited for Jakob's arrival. It only took him a minute to come in. He's not wearing a regular uniform anymore.

"Hey," he called softly.

Pinanuod ko siyang lumakad palapit sa gilid ng kama at umupo sa pwesto ni Mariah kanina. He sat closer to the bed though.

He didn't speak for a while. His eyes scanned my face; like he was memorizing every inch of it.

"I was so worried, Fabienne," Jakob darkly uttered.

I pursed my lips. "You saved me."

"I almost didn't. I didn't know how to. I called Silver and he told me what to do," he grimly explained. His eyes were serious like he was reliving the moment he was resuscitating me.

"But you did. Thank you," I austerely said.

Jakob heavily sighed. He moved closer to the bed and reached for me. He brushed the strands of hair away from my face. He clenched his jaw. "Who did this to you?"

"Hindi ko nakita. My head was already submerged on the water when a hand held me in place," I explained. I bit my lip and was reminded of my conversation with Mariah. "Jakob, they're sending me to a mental clinic."

Binawi ni Jakob ang kamay niya sa gilid ng mukha ko pero hinayaan niya 'yon na nakapatong sa unan. He sympathetically nodded at me. "Tita Mariah told me to convince you that it'll be good for your... for Kinsley's condition."

"She thinks Kinsley wanna kill herself," I bitterly spat and closed my eyes. When I opened it, my vision has blurred. "Jakob, I don't wanna go."

"I'm sorry," he murmured. He reached for my cheek this time and lightly brushed it with his thumb. "It's gonna be okay. You just have to make them see that you're normal and they'll let you go."

I shook my head. "You have to find the person who tried to drown me. That will convince Mariah that I'm not suicidal."

"I will, Fabie. I promise," Jakob solemnly vowed.

***

Mariah was right when she said that the place looked like a hotel. Outside, it was a gray building with eight floors. It looked exactly like in the brochure that Kinsley's mother gave me. It's very different from other mental health care hospitals here in the Philippines... but I still don't want to be here though.