Erato

Erato's name would mean "desired" or "lovely", if derived from the same root as Eros, as Apollonius of Rhodes playfully suggested in the invocation to Erato that begins Book III of his "Argonautica". Erato is the Muse of Love Poetry and Songs, Miming, as well as poetry and songs about marriage. In the Orphic hymn to the Muses, it is Erato who charms the sight.

Since the Renaissance she has mostly been shown with a wreath of myrtle and roses, holding a lyre, or a small kithara, a musical instrument often associated with Apollo. In Simon Vouet's representations, two turtle-doves are eating seeds at her feet. Other representations may show her holding a golden arrow, reminding one of the "eros", the feeling that she inspires in everybody, and at times she is accompanied by the god Eros himself holding a torch.

Erato is considered to be wise in matters of love and marriage while being passionate and erotic- some would call her a hopeless romantic. She is rarely shown standing but seated in her pictures. Like the rest of the muses, Erato is depicted as being a young and beautiful maiden whose very appearance inspires the love poetry. Because of what she represents, she is also considered to be one of the most beautiful of all the muses and her students tend to fall in love with her.