Polyhymnia

Polymnia, Polymnis, or Polyhymnia, is the last-born of the sisters and named Muse of Religious Hymns and Sacred Music as well as Patron of Sacred Dance and Prayer. Polyhymnia is often portrayed as a beautiful, solemn, woman in a pensive or meditative pose, with one finger up towards her mouth while leaning on a column in deep thought. Her name was derived from the Greek words poly- "many" and hymnos "praise" or "hymn." Consequently, this minor goddess is associated with meditation and is referred to by some as "She/One of the Many Hymns" for she would invent many hymns and sings them to the gods and goddesses in praise. 

Polyhymnia presides over lyric poetry and is believed to have invented the lyre instead of Greek God Hermes. Her symbols include her long dresses or cloaks and a veil which was used to cover the head; implying the traits of a virgin priestess.

In her mothering history, some legends say she is the mother of Triptolemus, the first priest of Demeter and the inventor of agriculture, by Cheimarrhus, son of Ares, Greek God of War, or by Celeus, King of Eleusis. To note, if Triptolemus did not invent agriculture nor was he the first priest of Demeter, Polyhymnia gets the titles. In other versions, she was the mother of Eros, the God of Love himself, or Orpheus by Oeagrus or Apollo. However, Orpheus' lineage is as complicated as Linus since, besides the two matches involving Polyhymnia, there are 3 others with one involving her sister, Calliope with Apollo, and the other two involving Oeagrus with two different women of varying social statuses.

In addressing a prayer to an Olympian god, the suppliant would stand with raised arms and palms upward. Greek religion was not based on a written creed but their sacred writings survive in the form of hymns. Most elaborate are the Homeric Hymns, some of which may have been composed for religious festivals. Inscriptions from the Delphic oracles included hymns to Apollo, Polyhymnia's foster father and teacher (and possible-husband at this point).

Besides being associated with all things spiritual, Polyhymnia is also credit to liberal arts development in areas of poetry, oratory speech, eloquence, and rhetoric, while being given credit for being the Muse of Geometry, Grammar and Meditation.

Conclusively, she is considered as the "serious and spiritual intellectual" among her sisters.