La Diabla - Chapter Twenty

"I believe everybody has a story. The good, the bad, the strong, even the weak. There are stories about Narcos, widows, orphans, legals and illegals."

"But this is my story, and it's about someone you may be familiar with: death. Shes inevitable. She's everywhere. In the plants, in the air, in the ocean, in us. But yet nobody wants to talk about her. Sometimes it can be a scary subject, and let me tell you why:"

"I was Nineteen when I died, Oscar. In these nineteen years I realized something. We're all born to be someone, whether it be a gang leader, a lawyer, an astronaut, a chef and so on. But nobody talks about what happens after that, where everything we had goes when we're gone for good. We work so hard while we're alive to lose it when we die."

"I did believe in God, although I didn't growing up, he's the one who brought me to you, Oscar. He found a Diabla and gave her a Santo. He made you believe in me. You made me believe in him."

"I adore and love death, but my fathers obsession made it something it shouldn't have been. He gave it a name, he gave it a body. He made something so beautiful, so evil. With the tattoos and the alters, he used her for evil. He abused something so fragile."

The paper crinkled in Oscar's hand as he sniffled, wiping his face.

"I know you're going to wonder why I did it. But I did it for you, for Cesar, for Freeridge, for everybody that'll be safe with me gone. I was born a Diablo, Oscar. But I died a Santo, in your name."

Cesar watched Oscar cry, his arms crossed. He had never witnessed it before. It was quiet, stray tears running down his face. But that was it, no sobbing, no whimpering, just the occasional sniffle and wipe at his under eyes with his flannel sleeve.

"If there was this evil in me then I'm happy you didn't get to see it. I'm glad you got to know me as Sabina, not what everybody else saw me as. I'm grateful for everything you did for me Oscar, taking me in, giving me a bed to sleep in and clothes to wear."

Oscar smiled.

"It my turn to pay you back. Just do me a favor okay?"

He sucked in a harsh breath, exhaling through his mouth.

"Promise me that you won't stop being the man that brought a smile to my face when I felt like I couldn't breathe, that held me on the floor until I was okay. Whether it be with another girl or just in general."

"Know you were the love of my 'short' life. I realized it way too late. I was too busy being stuck in the fact that Diablos and Santos didn't work. But whatever was between us went further than just lust and I know that because you saw me at my worst, beaten and broken. I'll never forget what touching you made me feel, what seeing you smile did to me. I'm so sorry we didn't get the chance to love each other."

"I did." He said, "I did and I do love you." He set the letter down on top of the pile of dirt, grabbing a hand full and setting it over the paper. "I told you mama, you showed me parts of myself I didn't know I had, feelings I never thought I could feel."

Cesar set his hand on Oscar's back, looking down at the grave in front of them.

"You didn't deserve this life." He shook his head with a small chuckle, "God, you were so good, Sabina." He looked up, "I know you made it." He smiled, "and you're taking care of us."

Cesar grinned softly with a nod, "she is mano."

"And I'm gonna make it right." He nodded as well, "this is your world baby, so I'ma make it right for you." Oscar squatted down, setting his hand onto the ground.

"Cesar."

Cesar spun around at the sound of his name. Ruby, Jamal, Monse, Olivia and Mario were walking up to them. "Hey guys." He smiled, sadly.

"It was sweet, what you said about Sabina at the funeral." Monse said, Jamal nodded with a soft sigh, his hands in his pockets.

Osar turned his head, catching Ruby's gaze. He froze, choking as Oscar stood up straight, stepping toward him. Everybody watched, shocked when Oscar pulled Ruby into a hug. Mario got in on it, holding Oscar's head on his shoulder.

"Guys." Cesar said to Monse, Olivia and Jamal, "let's give them some privacy." They nodded, following after him when he walked away.

"It all started with you two traviesos." Oscar fluffed Ruby's hair, smiling at the two with tears in his eyes. Ruby laughed softly, wiping the tears from his own face. "Thank you." Oscar said sincerely, "for bringing her into my life."

Mario looked down at Ruby, and he smiled. "She needed you."

Oscar shook his head, "nah, I was the one who needed her." He set his hands on their shoulders, "If it wasn't for you two I wouldn't have known that." Mario nudged Ruby with a content smile. "I almost made her leave, but this one is terco." Oscar nodded at Ruby and he chuckled.

"I'm happy you're okay homie." Mario set his hand over his, "you can count on us, on my family if you or Cesar ever need anything."

Oscar smiled, "I appreciate you, homie." He looked back at the grave, "she's okay." He nodded, "she's happy. So I'm happy." His hands dropped to his sides, "excuse me." Ruby and Mario nodded simultaneously and Oscar walked back to her grave. "Thank you for changing me for the better." He said, "goodbye Sabina."