Chapter Seventeen: This Is How You Win

"Sit." Major Novak said. He had a holographic panel on the table in front of him. Minor Novak sat at the other end. This was the evaluation in which the instructor would review Minor's skills. "You did well for someone with a week of training." The man smiled. "I honestly didn't think you would make it."

"Why not?" Minor questioned.

"Well, your not the most athletic, and odds are not in your favor, Tre- I mean-Minor. Sorry, I'm still getting used to it."

"It's fine. I know odds are not in my favor, but I want to try." The boy recalculated himself. "I-I mean, I am trying."

"I still don't understand why. You can go to college and run a company and even design stuff for Mark Vin himself! So why do this when it seems like you have no chance?"

"Because I've seen the look. The look you give me when you realize I'm not what you wanted me to be. The look you give me every time I win an award in science or engineering, sure you're proud, but there's this distant look that wanted it to be an award for physical prowess."

"Oh...I'm-"

"I'm not done," he interrupted his father. Something he had never done before. "I'm tired of that look, I'm tired of not being what you wanted. I'm doing this for you. For you to realize how powerful I can be! For you to realize I'm your son!" Minor had not realized he had been slowly raising his voice into a yell. Major laughed.

"You know, " He rubbed the bridge of his nose. "That wasn't half bad. But still, you don't have to do this. I imagine my reputation has probably cast a shadow over you, and that's not gonna make this road any easier." His father doubted him. Minor could see it in his eyes. "I saw your good teamwork, your problem solving and your willingness to pass even if you were at a disadvantage..." Major trailed off. "You passed but, I don't want you to get hurt, I want what's best for you." Major popped a smirk to try to reassure Minor but the boy could see through it. His father meant well but he was only proving his son's point, hiding behind a smile to sugarcoat the fact that he didn't want Minor here.

"Thank you, dad," Minor said. "But I'm staying whether you like it or not."

"That's Director Novak to you." He asserted himself. "Now with all of that aside I heard you had a little scuffle with another contender?"

"oh...well yeah, a girl named Aria."

"What happened?" Major put down the holographic board then rested arms on the table and put his hands in a fold.

"Well, I think she had a previous grudge against me. She thinks I got in because you're my dad, and you also kicked out her friend, and she blames me." Minor began to get squeamish, he was not used to getting in trouble.

"I see. So how did you respond?"

"I defended myself, and I told her why I was here."

"Okay, you're all set," Major said lightly as he leaned back his chair. "I'll assign you to a group by tomorrow."

"Seriously?" Minor could not believe it. "That's it? No punishment."

"There is punishment." The director said. "But not for you." Minor felt the weight of pointless guilt lift from his chest, but there was still dread in his stomach when he wondered how Aria would react.

"So I'm in?" Minor questioned to reassure himself.

"Huh? Oh yeah sure." His father waved him away as Minor could see the man playing a game on his holographic phone as he waited for the next combatant.

And so Minor left the room both ecstatic and nervous. Believing that he was ready to take on the hard road ahead.

[3 Months Later]