Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I moved to Santo Padre a week ago and start my new job this morning. My cousin Gracie has a dog shelter that she runs but it's not just a dog shelter. It's also a place for addicts to get through withdrawals. I was a certified nursing assistant when I was back home in Tennessee and so I moved here to help her out, and to get a fresh start. I walk into the front office and see Gracie standing at the front desk. "Morning Gracie." I say. "Morning Georgia. Did you find us okay?" she asks. "I did. So, where do we start?" I ask and she smiles. I put my things in the desk drawer and she shows me around. "We have some Mayans that come by from time to time to check on us so don't freak out when they show up. They might look rough but they are good to us. They help get what we need and they help with security." she tells me and I nod. I see some of the employees taking care of the dogs that we have there before we move to another room that has larger kennel cages and there are people in them in different stages of detox. "I know it isn't much..." she starts "At least it's something." I tell her and she hugs me. "I missed you Gia." she tells me and I start laughing at her nickname for me. "I missed you too Gracie."

A little later, we are in the front office, talking when we hear the bikes pull up. We walk outside to meet them and they all walk up and the leader kisses her cheek. "Guys, this is my cousin Georgia. If I'm not here, you can trust her. Gia this is Bishop, the president of the Mayans, Taza the VP, Riz, Gilly, Angel, the Prospect EZ, Coco, and the Road Captain Creeper." she introduces us. "Nice to meet you guys." I say. "You're not from here are you Princesa?" Coco asks. "Tennessee." I say simply and they all nod. Gracie goes on talking to Bishop and Creeper moves over towards me. "Long way from home aren't you?" he asks. "Needed a fresh start." I tell him. "I get that. Gracie is familia. So are you. You need anything you let us know." he tells me. "I appreciate that Creeper." I tell him, smiling softly.

After the guys leave, she asks. "What did Creeper say?" she asks. "Just saying that I was a long way from home and that you are family so that means I am too. Told me that if I needed anything to let them know." I tell her. "They really are good guys." she tells me smirking. "Don't do that. You know me and Chris just broke up." I tell her. "What better way to get over him than to get under a new one. Creeper sure was watching you." she tells me. "Don't. I'm not doing that. I'll be fine alone." I tell her before getting back to the paperwork she wanted me to file. "Don't close yourself off." she tells me. "Gracie, he was cheating on me. Telling me it was my fault. Why in the hell would I subject anyone else to that shit?" I ask. "Just don't close yourself off." she tells me and I just nod.

Back at the clubhouse, Bishop asks "What was that with you and Gracie's cousin?" Creeper looks at him and says "She's cute. Thought I would let her know we were there if she needed anything." he tells Bishop. "You wanna hit that?" Angel asks. "Shut the fuck up." Creeper says before heading into his dorm to shower, thinking about the girl he just met. Back in the main room, Bishop looks at Taza and says "I think Creeper has a thing for the new girl." Taza laughs and says "I think you're right." Bishop looks at the rest of the guys and says "She's off limits boys. This one's his." They all nod, knowing that Creeper has been alone for a long time.

I walk into my house after work and check my cell phone. I find a voicemail from Chris. Baby please answer the phone. We need to talk. I don't want to lose you. Then there were the texts.

C: Baby please talk to me.

C: Answer your phone please.

C: I don't want to lose you baby. I won't mess up again.

C: Please come home. I need you baby. She didn't mean anything.

There are a dozen more just like these. I delete them all and get in the shower. My mind drifts off the the man I met today. Creeper was really nice looking and really nice. But someone like him won't go for someone like me. He's just being nice because I am Gracie's cousin. Plus, I couldn't keep Chris faithful, I won't be able to keep him either. I get into bed and cry myself to sleep like I have the last week.