Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Waking up the next morning I am sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee when there's a knock on the door. I get up and look through the peephole and see Angel standing there. Opening the door, before I can say he says "Brought breakfast." I let him in and we head to the kitchen. Sitting down, he starts pulling the food out of the bag and I move to get him a cup of coffee. "You didn't have to do this." I say as I take a seat at the table. "I know. But I thought we could talk." he says. "Angel..." I start but he stops me. "Just hear me out." he says and I nod. While we eat, he starts talking. "Look, I like you. You're a cool chick and don't have a problem putting me in my place. I like that. You're smart and really nice to look at." he says and I just laugh and shake my head. "But seriously. I like you. I want to show you that I'm not like Jax. I'm nothing like Jax. All I ask is for a chance." he says. "Angel, I don't know if I can do that." I tell him. "I know and after talking to Chucky after you left, I think I might have a solution." he tells me. "What's that?" I ask, sitting back in my seat and looking at him. "We spend time together. Hang out. No sex. Just spending time together. Neither of us see anyone else and you give me thirty days to show you that I'm not like him." he says. I look at him for a second and then ask "What then?" He smirks and says "If I can prove that I'm not like him, you have to agree to be in a real relationship with me. You have to be my Old Lady and start building a life with me." he tells me. "And if you don't?" I ask. "Then I leave you alone and we be just friends and coworkers." I look at my plate for a minute and then to him and he says "You don't have to answer now. Take a few days and think about it. There's a party Friday. You can give me your answer then." he tells me and I see he's not pressuring me or rushing me. "Okay. I can do that." I tell him and his smile gets bigger. "Now, finish eating. We got shit to do." he tells me and I just shake my head.

After eating, he follows me to the scrapyard. I walk into the office and Chucky is looking at me and looks guilty. "I know he talked to you." I tell him. "Are you mad?" he asks. I walk over and hug him and say "No because I know you only want me to be happy. I love you Chucky Ducky." I tell him, calling him the nickname I used to call him all the time and he just smile. Around lunch time, Angel comes in and says "Lunch is in the clubhouse." I look up and tell Chucky "Go ahead. I got the office." He nods and heads in to get his food. Angel looks at me and asks "You not gonna eat?" I look at him and say "I'll eat in a bit. I want to finish this." He walks back to the clubhouse and a couple of minutes later he's back in the office. Putting both of our food on the counter, he takes Chucky's seat and says "Eat Bebita." I look at him and he pushes my food in front of me. I shake my head but start eating. We eat in silence and when we are both done, he kisses my cheek and says "Now, you can get caught up." I shake my head as he walks out the door.

That evening, we are all hanging out in the clubhouse and I am sitting on one of the couches, drinking a beer. Angel is sitting next to me and we are watching Gilly and Creeper play a game of pool and I am lost in thought. "You okay Bebita?" he asks. I look up at him and say "Yeah. Just thinking about things." I tell him. "Wanna talk about it?" he asks. "Yeah." I say. "Let's walk outside." he says as he stands up. Offering me his hand, he helps me stand and we walk out to one of the picnic tables. Sitting on the top, he asks "What are you thinking about?" I look down at my beer bottle and say "About your proposition. Are you sure about this Angel?" I ask. "Completely." he tells me. I shake my head and he asks "What is it?" I feel a tear fall and say "I don't want to get hurt. You don't know what it's like to have someone make you think they love you and want to be with you just to have them tell you it was all a lie." I tell him. "I know what it's like to feel like you're never the one chosen." he tells me and I look at him. He wipes the tear that has fallen from my cheek and before I could ask, he says "Ma and Pop were always choosing EZ over me. He was the golden child. I always felt like nothing I did was good enough. He was smart, athletic, getting trophies and shit and everything was always all about him." he tells me. I reach over and take his hand. "It sucks feeling like you'll never be good enough." I tell him. Lacing his fingers with mine he says "It does. But mi amor you are good enough. More than good enough. You need to see that." he tells me. "You're good enough too Angel." I tell him. Kissing my knuckles, I lay my head on his shoulder and ask "Are you sure you want to try this?" Kissing the top of my head he says "I do mi amor." I raise my head up and look at him and say "Thirty days." He cups my chin and kisses me softly and says "They will be the best thirty days of your life mi amor." I lay my head on his shoulder and we just sit there together in comfortable silence.