The Arrangements

I had been talking to a bunch of my friends about visiting New York and attending a Frank Sinatra concert with them.  What a life.  I was talking to Barbara (she was a good roommate and a better friend). I was arranging to spend some time in New York when my sister, Pandora, called. 

Pandora was going with a man who is twice her age who is married and Jewish. Not important now but then everything was important. Hell, if I was to go steady with a Roman Catholic Irish man (which appeared to my type) the hell that would be approved of. Pandora was a blond Marilyn Monroe look-alike (although I have to admit that Marilyn was slightly prettier). The Jewish man that Pandora was seeing was William S. Paley. 

A little about William S. Paley. He was born to two Jewish Parents  in 1901 (31 years before Pandora), married twice (his first wife was a women named Dorothy Hart Hearst from 1932 to 1947, his second wife was Babe Paley from 1947), owner and founder of CBS.  He has four children but, according to Pandora, you wouldn't know.  William was friends at the time (1960) with Truman Capote but you won't meet him in this story. 

"Pan..." 

"My lover's wife is going to town...." Pandora whined into the phone.

"You knew his wife before you knew him. You have Max," I said to him. Max was Pandora's adoring lover who was only five years older than her, not married, and frankly someone that had I not been in love with Charlie and Jack, I would have pursued.  

"I know..." 

"I am going to New York to a concert with a bunch of my friends."