03- Fresh Ears

Brandon pulled up in front of the studio where they recorded most their music. Brandon would never admit he had thrown Caroline's name around to the different producers they had worked with in hopes one of them would pick her. He was shocked himself when Liam had picked her because that meant she had got the internship all by herself since he had never spoke to Liam.

"Knock him dead, baby." Brandon said, smiling at Caroline.

"I hope so." She breathed, opening the door to get out. She placed one foot on the pavement before looking back at him. "I'll get an Uber to your house so I don't wake up Kelsey."

"Okay." Brandon replied. He watched as she got out and shut the door. He rolled the window down and yelled out to her. "I love you, DJ Mclaren!"

He could see Caroline's body shaking as she laughed at him. Once she disappeared inside the building, he drove off back towards home. He was so proud of her, but he was worried that the industry was going to eat her alive.

Caroline walked around, glancing down at her phone to make sure she had the studio number right. Once she found the right studio, she knocked on the door. Shortly a man came to the door, looking at her like she had three heads.

"I'm Caroline Mclaren. I was told to come here to sit in on a session." Caroline stated.

"Oh! Sorry! I wasn't expecting you to look like that. I'm Liam." The man said, waving her hand in a circular motion. Caroline ignored the comment about how she looked and smiled. "Come on in and I'll introduce you."

Caroline brushes past him and walked in to come face to face with a woman and Shawn Mendes. They watched her as she stood near them, awkwardly at that.

"Caroline, this is Teddy Geiger. She's a songwriter for Shawn Mendes who is sitting there besides her. Guys, this is Caroline. She's my first intern who has incredible talent with making music. I asked her to just sit in tonight. We might ask her input." Liam said, ending with a chuckle. He looked to Caroline and waved her to the table. She sat across from Teddy and beside Liam.

"Hi, nice to meet you." Caroline squeaked, suddenly nervous to be in there presence.

"Hey. So what do you think of this so far?" Shawn asked, sliding a laptop over to her. She held herself together and played the song. It was like his other song from the album he had released earlier.

"Very 1975-ish vibes. Very Shawn Mendes." Caroline chuckled. "I think the best could speed it up a bit. For it to be popish, it's kind of slow still."

Shawn nodded, processing her opinions. Liam got up from the table and began playing around on his equipment. Teddy sat quietly, awaiting for whatever Liam was piecing together.

"If we speed it up after the intro and first verse, it would sound like this. I added a few more drums and an electric guitar." Liam said, looking at Shawn and Teddy. Liam played the song, earning smiles from all three of them.

"I like that!" Shawn shouted, smiling to Caroline. The fangirl in Caroline was dying inside, but she knew she needed to keep it professional. "Good opinions you have."

"Really? I mean, t-thank you!" Caroline chirped, smiling to him.

"I think you've got yourself some good help here, Liam." Teddy pointed out.

For the rest of the night, Shawn and Teddy eagerly kept playing with the the album after getting opinions from Caroline. Liam listened to every opinion and worked on the songs, sometimes even asking Caroline to help him pick out something.

"I think we'll call it a night. We progressed really far guys. I'm happy with what we got done." Liam said, leaning back in his chair.

"I am too. I'm glad you invited her along. Fresh ears help a lot." Teddy said, smiling to Caroline.

Caroline smiled back at her. Caroline wasn't sure what time it was, but she was exhausted. She just wanted to get home and go to bed, but she knew it would be a while.

Shawn and Teddy stood up from the table and gathered their things. Shawn came around the table and held his free hand out to her. Caroline stood up and shook it.

"It was great meeting you. You're name is Caroline...?" Shawn asked.

"Caroline Mclaren." Caroline replied.

"Great. I'll follow you and keep in touch. I'd love to have you help with other songs whenever you can." Shawn smiled.

"I'd love too! Thank you!" Caroline replied, excitement lacing her voice.

Shawn and Teddy left shortly after, leaving Liam and Caroline alone. Caroline grabbed her phone, seeing it was almost 3am.

"You ready to head out?" Liam asked. She looked up to see him standing near the door.

"Yeah, let me see if I can an Uber this late." Caroline stated, looking back down at her phone.

"No need, I'll drive you! We can hit up a drive-thru on the way home." Liam chuckled.

"Okay. I could eat." Caroline laughed.

Liam locked up the studio and followed her out. He led her to his car and opened the door for her. She should've known he'd have an expensive sport car since he was the most wanted producer right now. What Caroline didn't know was that this was just the beginning of a long, difficult journey.

••••