07- Unexpected

Caroline sat in her car outside the studio looking at her phone as Brandon tried to FaceTime her. She tossed her phone into the passenger and sighed. She was happy at the moment and didn't want to start fighting with him about the most random shit. She also had been ignoring him on purpose just because communication between them had got so awkward within the past few weeks.

She had just finished helping  Liam and a few members of 5 Seconds of Summer mix a song for the new album. Luke has mentioned how Shawn amended had talked so highly of both her and Liam, so they had to jump on getting a song from them. Caroline was ecstatic to get to help do a song for so many artist that she had fell in love with over the years.

When she got home, Kelsey had left a note for her to feed Simba and walk him while she was at class. Caroline and Simba didn't get along for the simple fact he was a pain in the ass, like Zion.

"Come on butthead, you have to go walk." Caroline stated, clipping his leash on him and practically dragging him down the hall towards the elevator.

While Simba slowly roamed around the apartment building, Brandon tried calling her again. This time she answered it and smiled into the camera.

"You look dead." Caroline laughed, seeing the bags under his eyes.

"Yeah, Chicago was wild." Brandon said, chuckling.

"Grand Rapids are next, right?" She asked, following along behind Simba.

"Yep. What you been up too?" He asked, moving around on the small sofa in the back of the bus.

"Working. I ended up quitting the club a few nights ago since the internship is paid. It's too much going on with school." Caroline said, squinting as the sun reflected off the phone.

"That's good, I never liked you work there anyway." Brandon replied. "How's the internship?"

"Great! Shawn has apparently been recommending us, so so many people have came to Liam to work on a song. I just finished a session with Luke Hemmings and Ashton Irwin. It sounds kind of similar to Easier." Caroline chirped happily. Brandon notes the sudden change in her attitude when the internship was mentioned.

"Oh, so you've been spending a lot of time with Liam then?" Brandon asked. Caroline froze in place. A knot was in her throat as she thought about the countless nights she had been working with Liam in the studio.

"N-no, not t-too much. Nothing out of normal." Caroline stammered. Brandon quirked an eyebrow at her, but decided to pass on causing an argument with her. He was just glad to finally get to talk to her over FaceTime after their schedules being so busy over the last few days. Caroline rounded the corner to go back into the apartment building when she saw Liam standing near the stairs. Panic began to set in and she quickly tried to hide it from her face.

"I-I-I got to go. Bye! I love you!" Caroline hurriedly spoke, blowing a kiss into the camera and ending the call before Brandon could say anything back to her.

"Liam! What are you doing here?" She asked, walking up to him with Simba beside her.

"You left your bag at my place the other night and then I forgot to give it to you at the studio. I was in the neighborhood and I thought I'd stop by." He smiled, holding up her leather book bag. She smiled and grabbed the bag from him. He snakes his arm around her waist and smiled down at her. "While I'm here, what about you accept my invite for lunch together?"

"Sure. I have to go out Simba up though." She said, glancing down at the dog who was laying in the shade.

"Okay, I'll walk up with you." Liam replied, walking behind her.

Caroline cursed herself inwardly. She had dug a whole bigger than she had intended and she had no idea how to get back out of it. She had exactly 10 days to figure out her next move in her relationship with Brandon, but she had no idea what that move was.

••••