10- Something Has Got to Give

Caroline looked at the dress she had on. It was something she wouldn't have even glanced at months ago, but now, revealing clothing was all she wore now. The dress reminded her of something Kelsey would were to go out, which then made her think about her first real date with Brandon. Oh, how she'd kill to go back to feeling that way about him. She was a kid in love with someone she thought she'd be with longer than a year, but here they were.

Caroline sighed and smoothed our the dress before slipping on her heels, a birthday present from Brandon that almost felt too wrong to wear.  She looked in the mirror one last time, not even recognizing herself. The music notes etched into her skin, the heart, and sound waves tattoo shined with new ink on her forearm and stood out against the bright royal blue bodycon dress.

"You look like a slut." Kelsey voices from behind her. "Must be a tough guy if he wanted you to dress like that to meet one of his clients."

"He didn't tell me how to dress, Kels. He's a good guy." Caroline replied.

"And Brandon isn't? I much rather have a boyfriend be too dedicated to his work than out making me dress like a slut." Kelsey retorted.

Caroline inwarded screamed at her in her mind. Kelsey didn't approve of her behavior or the recent physical changes she had made since Brandon left on tour. Caroline just wanted Kelsey to see her point of view, but it was clouded in Kelsey's eyes.

"Oh! You should probably call Brandon before you go since he still thinks you're his girlfriend!" Kelsey shouted from the living room. Caroline rolled her eyes and grabbed the phone off the bed.  Caroline opted out of FaceTiming him so she wouldn't feel so guilty about how she was lying to him.

"Hey." He answered. Caroline could hear the smile in his voice. She liked to think it was because of her, but she could hear him working on a launchpad. Music would always be his first love.

"Hey, we haven't talked in a while." Caroline said, letting out a breath she had been holding in.

"Yeah, sorry! I've been working on some new music with the guys and then we have soundcheck and the concerts. It's kind of hectic, but that's no excuse to not talk to my favorite girl." Brandon rambled.

"It's fine, I'm used to it by now." Caroline said, chuckling bitterly.

"I'm sorry. So, what are your big plans for today? I heard Kels saying something to Zion over FaceTime." Brandon asked, concentrating more on what he was doing than listening to her.

"Meeting some potential artist with Liam at SoHo house. Some big artists apparently." Caroline said, smiling. Caroline was excited to be meeting more people and getting her name out there in the music industry and she was glad Liam was helping her do that.

"Sounds fun. Eat some good food for both of us." Brandon stated, laughing slightly.

"Will do, but I got to go now. I have to finish getting ready for tonight." Caroline stated, clearing her throat.

"Yeah, I need to finish this song anyway. Have fun, babe. I love you." Brandon said. Caroline could hear the smile in his voice again. That time she knew it was for her, which pained her. It was like someone was choking her as she tried to say those few words back to him.

"I-I love you too." She stammered, slowly dropping the phone from her ear. Brandon mumbled something , but she didn't hear it. She hung up on him and let the phone fall onto the bed again. He made everything so damn hard to do. She had one more night before he came back to LA and she still hadn't prepared for the talk.

Brandon stared at the blank phone screen. He wasn't working on music, he just didn't want to to know he was longing to talk to her more. He didn't want to get in the way of her work or school simply because he had nothing to do until soundcheck.

"You okay?" Nick asked, peering over his phone at him.

"Yeah. It's just Caroline. I knew we'd drift apart over your, but it seems worse than I thought it would be." Brandon sighed, laying his phone back on his lap.

"Have you noticed how much she's changed? I mean look at this picture. She doesn't even look like Caroline." Nick said, turning his phone so Brandon could see her recent Instagram upload.

Brandon nodded, he had noticed the subtle changes long before tour. Ever since she started working with Liam she had begun making changes to her wardrobe and hair. Caroline has said it was to give herself a brand as a producer since she didn't fit the looks of one, something he was sure Liam had put in her head. He loved Caroline with all his heart, but something had to give with her and that internship because it was destroying them.

•••••