Three

Raichelle woke up early and had a hearty breakfast, searching for something to sing on Youtube. 'I really don't know why I'm doing this. I already know what Daddy wants me to sing.' She laughs and shakes her head. 'I Won't Complain.' That was his favorite song and she just knew he was going to cry, so was she. So she made a mental note to wear waterproof makeup.

After showering and getting dolled up, she was out the door. Once she arrived at church for the Friends and Family Day program, she cringed as she realized there was reserved seating for her. She wanted to draw at little attention to herself as possible, though it's been proven to be difficult on many occasions.

(Example of the outfit.)

The program was much better this year

The program was much better this year. Her father, the bishop, finally listened to some of her pointers. They kept it short and sweet. Her mother was the Mistress Of Ceremony this time around because she knew how to keep everything going smoothly. There were singers, dancers, musicians, spoken word artists, a great variety of gifted people. Raichelle smiled as she remembered certain faces. Some young adults who were children when she left, appear to be flourishing. It did her heart some good to see.

But one thing that really got to her was hearing this one little girl sing her heart out. She was brown skinned with dimples and a bubble nose. Her thick plaits swayed from side to side as she began to feel the song. Raichelle soon found herself sniffling and she was nudged in the side by her older sister Michelle, who was literally and figuratively a pain. Raichelle nudged her back, suggesting that she leave her alone.

Trying to get herself together, Raichelle didn't realize she was next on the program. 'Your turn, Song Bird...', an older lady sitting behind her patted her on the back. 'Oh...' Raichelle responded with a lost expression causing those around her to laugh.

'Come on up here, Sunni. The ink's already dry, no backing out of the agreement now.' Her father joked. Raichelle shook off her nerves causing more laughter. She hugged her parents as they stood together in front of the pulpit. Her father handed her the mic and placed his arm around her to comfort her. Her mother stood near holding his hand.

'Well, I'm not sure why yall put me up after that young lady. We should've dismissed after that... because she shut everything down!' The audience erupted in laughter and Raichelle led them in another applause for the young girl who slumped down in her seat covering her face. She was embarrassed that attention was being drawn to her again.. 'Aww.. don't be shy, sweetie. You did an amazing job. I remember when I was your age...all I wanted to do was sing.' The little girl finally uncovered her face, revealing a snaggletooth smile.

Raichelle turned to her father. 'Daddy, you already know what I'm gonna sing. So get the tissues ready for him, Mama.' She turned to her mother who was already teary-eyed herself. Everyone laughed again.

Raichelle started out acapella, as she usually loves to do. Soon the organist and pianist backed her as she gave them the cue to come in, complimenting her jazzy style very well.