Seventeen

(I'm sure there are typos. Hope you like. Let me know!)

She was trying her best to fight off the thoughts that were bombarding her at the moment.

Was he going to ask her to work with him? A date? She was kinda hoping he would ask her if she had any connections so she could get the awkwardness out of the way. But unfortunately, the look in his eyes proved he was determined to get close to her.

It was quite obvious that he was interested in her by the way he looked at her and how he couldn't stop smiling or touching her arm. She was so caught up in the moment. She knew what he was doing but it didn't click until he was showing signs that he was ready to make his move.

Thankfully, there was some slack in the growing tension in her neck and chest as her phone rang. She was shocked by to herself and able to catch her breath. But suddenly she was reluctant as she recognized the assigned ringtone. It was her mother.

What does she want?!

She was trying her best to ignore it, but those plans were foiled when the handsome man before her was now focused on her peculiar behavior. He squinted his honey colored eyes. Seemingly confused as to why she wasn't answering her phone. He politely stepped back to give her some space, relaxing his shoulders.

She probably has someone and I don't want things to be awkward.

'Hey, I don't wanna hold you up. But it was nice talking to you. Maybe we'll exchange info next time.' He grinned. Just as he was about to turn and walk away, the phone stopped ringing.

'I'll call her back.' She shrugged and grinned awkwardly. 'You were saying?' She takes a deep breath, turns off her phone, and drops it back into her purse. Now her focus is back on the masterpiece before her.

My God!

A similar tone now hums through the expensive leather of her large purse.

'Sorry. Let me take this.' She rolls her eyes.

'Hey, Mom. You called my business phone. Everything ok?'

'So I have to call your business phone now just to get in touch with you?'

'Mom, don't be like that. I'm busy taking care of business.'

'Busy with what? What are you up to now?'

'I'm kinda in the middle of something right now actually.' Raichelle rummages through her purse for a pen and paper. She finds an eyeliner pencil and an old CVS receipt, then proceeds to tear the receipt in half. She gives Nate one half of it and he looks confused, then laughs out loud.

'Like what? And what's with your father getting a new truck. You know he can't afford that. We're still trying to remodel our home.' She was so glad her mother didn't hear him laughing or else she would've loaded her down with questions.

'I know that, that's why I was going to give him my truck, especially since he loves it so much. Didn't he tell you?' She checks Nate out as he pats down his pockets for something to write with, coming up empty. She attempts to write her info down on the receipt but the liner basically melts onto the paper.

'I guess I missed that part...' She sighs as she hears her mother huff and puff on the line, banging pots around like a mad woman.

'I bet you did. Well, let me talk to you later, ok? I gotta go.' 

'Make sure you call me. We ain't through, young lady.'

'Will do..love you.'

'Do you really?'

'Bye, Mom! Love you!'

Raichelle shrugs. 'Darn pencil.' They both laugh and he hands her back the other half of the receipt. She blinked away her nerves, giving him a polite grin. 'Sorry. As you were, sir.' She wipes her brow.

'Well, I'm in the process of remodeling my office building and I need some help putting it all together. Do you mind helping me? I can get you everything you need.' He seemed to be a very trusting man. But she wouldn't crown him king just yet. 

'Well, I have this party to work on at the moment.' It wasn't an excuse, she was just trying to figure out how to work everything in her head.

'No rush, it's gonna be a minute. But I do know I want something similar to that pic you showed me for my personal home office. I love that blue wall and the furniture. It's so strong. I love that it's modern. That's similar to how I want everything to look throughout the office. I'm thinking different shades of blue in each room.' 

'That sounds good. But I'll need to make sure everything is clear. I don't wanna make any promises I can't keep.' 

'So that's a 'YES'?' 

''YES' as in I'll consider it.' Raichelle smirked and raised her brow at him.

'That's awesome. Let me give you my card.' 

Wow..he's persistent.

'Cool, you have cards?' She smiled looking at the embossed lettering. 'Oh shoot! I forgot I have some in my purse. Well..I think I have them. Broke my good liner for no reason.' They laughed. 'Here they are! Still in the wrapper...Ok..slow down, Raichelle.' 

'Oh. Those are nice! I feel bad about my flimsy cards.'

'Aww, they're nice and straight to the point. It's not always about the flair.' He smirked at her as if he didn't believe her, causing both of them to laugh. 'And thank you. My friend had them made for me. He wants me to step out on faith. I guess this is a sign.' 

'Good way to look at it. Seems like he believes in you too.' He smiles. 

'Yeah, he always pushes me. Especially when things need to get moving.' 

'Well, if I can help in that department as well I will.' 

'Thanks I need all the help I can get.' She can't stop grinning like a Chesh Cat, as her grandmother would say.

'Well based on what you showed me, you're well on your way.' He gave her a smooth wink and flexed his dimpled grin.

Ooooh...they know just what to do don't they?! Especially when they want something! I need to watch this guy... he's smooth.

'Thanks so much, I needed that.' Now she's blushing, hoping and praying he doesn't noticed. But none to her surprise, his eyes are once again locked on her. His intensity says so much that she almost let her mind slip into the gutter.

'My pleasure..' He looks down at the card 'Ms. Byrd. Hope to hear from you soon.' 

She was relieved that he finally broke his gaze again long enough to collect the ooze that is now her brain. But she couldn't help but focus on one word: PLEASURE.

It's been a while since she's had any. In fact, it's been a long time since she's done anything worthwhile. So if nothing else, she can put all of her creative energy into her art. And if he's generous she could learn about architecture to step her decor game up. She's always wanted to learn but always invested in others. Now it's her time to shine.

'Nice meeting you Mr....'  she looks down at his card 'Freeman.' They both laugh and part ways.

She worked herself up so much that her nerves were on overdrive. Once he was out of sight, she rushed to the restroom. 'Wooo, Lord! I thought I was gonna explode! I can't wait to call Tabbs! She's gonna be so proud of me!'

(I forgot to ask yall this before. But who does Nate put you in the mind of?

What about Raichelle? Does she remind you of yourself or someone you know?)