Chapter Thirteen - Youth

Thanks to my true friends: Serena, Jodi, and Hannah, I made it through Thursday and Friday. Jodi even rang me on Saturday afternoon to see how I was, but it was only quick because she had to go to her boyfriend's house.

All weekend I dreamed about Callan and Sebastian, and about their gorgeous, long hair. On Saturday night I dreamt that Callan grew a beard and I had to cut it for him, but it kept growing.

When I woke up on Sunday morning, mum was still asleep. I showered, ate breakfast and brushed my hair while I looked out my window, thinking of Shaun.

How did I feel about him?

After five minutes of brushing, I decided I carried no other feelings for him than that of one friend to another.

My mission for the day was to endure church, just for Shaun. I had never been to church in my life, not even for a funeral or wedding. What was I supposed to wear?

I searched through my wardrobe, tearing it to shreds until I eventually emerged from my bedroom in a white blouse and pink skirt.

It was a clear, cool day with a soft breeze that pushed gently against me as I walked to the church.

I can't believe this, I thought. I am an agnostic. Why am I going to church?

My hair was down around my shoulders and the wind blew it from my face the whole walk. Birds tweeted, cars groaned on by, and trains sung in the distance.

The church stood in its same old spot with a gathering of cars in the carpark and the trees glistening green in the morning sun. People trickled in through the front doors, some greeting each other, some just wandering in quietly. I paused for a while, wondering if Shaun had arrived yet.

I checked my watch. 8am.

Here goes, I thought, and made my way inside the chapel.

The first thing I heard was an organ. The second was a friendly murmur of voices. I looked around the old interior, following my ears. Bathrooms, drinking fountains...

"Ruby! You're here!"

Shaun looked incredible. His shirt was pale blue and open at the neck, and his sleeves were rolled up so I could see his masculine arms. He rushed over to me and swept me up, crushing me to him as I laughed nervously.

"I'm so glad you made it," he beamed, then took my hand. "Come on, I'll introduce you to my dad."

His father looked very alike to Shaun. They had the same soft, brown hair and bright eyes. A constant smile streaked their faces, bringing them to life.

"Ruby, this is my dad, Matthew," Shaun said, letting go of my hand.

"Hello, Ruby," he smiled at me, shaking my hand. "Its nice to meet you. Sorry for almost running you over last week."

I laughed. He was a kind man. I decided to be extra nice to him because I knew his wife had recently divorced him and I never wanted him to stop believing that the world was a friendly place.

"Oh, that's okay," I said. "I was out of sorts. Its nice to meet you too, sir."

"Don't call me sir," he said gently, still smiling. "Just Matt."

I nodded and we proceeded into the chapel, where the organ played it strains joyfully. It was half-filled with people and the pews were made of polished wood. Matt took a seat in the middle and Shaun and I followed in after him.

"I'm really glad you made new friends, Ruby," Shaun whispered. "I was so worried you would never get back to school, or would be sitting by yourself all the time."