26: Steve

If it were up to me, the bastard wouldn't have been allowed anywhere near The Homestead. We could've kept him at his base with his other goonies and found answers there. Now, he's sitting in front of Max's bed with a gross smile and an obnoxious attitude. Thinking he can tell us where to go and want to do makes me want to burn that rat's nest on top of his head.

Max wasn't having any of it either. As soon as Grimes was pulled in, she was immediately at alert. Granted, she was hardly given an alert. Her demeanor changed from sleepy to completely on alert and ready to rip Grimes' throat out.

I wouldn't bat an eye if she did.

Grimes sat casually in the chair, even with the probability of Max snapping at him. A grin lazily sat on his lips as he waited for our attention. 

"Spit it out, already." Max growled, "I would like to go back to sleep sometime today."

Grimes lifted his cuffed hands in defense, "Easy there, killer."

As he said 'killer', Max's eyes instantly snapped to his. Guilt seeped through her features, as did pure anger at him. Her hands gripped into fists.

Her reaction made Grimes smile in victory, "Sorry, too soon-"

"Talk!" She snapped, a growl rolling through the room.

"Alright. Alright." Grimes nodded, "The campfire story. On it. Let me set the scene for you; summer of 70' in Lincoln, Nebraska there was a young man who read many comic books. He dreamed of men who could punch through walls and stop speeding bullets with his bare hands. The young man grew up to be a scientists in chemistry and neuroscience. He studied ways to make those dreams possible and he almost had it if it wasn't for a woman named Grace. She's the villain of my story. She's the one who took away my dream all those years ago. What she doesn't know is that I have friends on the other side to help me."

"The other side?" Thor asked him, "What do you mean?"

"People liked my work." He grinned, "Powerful people. They wanted me to continue."

"Who?" I asked, "Big wig corporation CEOs?"

Grimes tilted his head, "Yes. They were men who wanted to profit. And they have."

"How?" Max asked, "How has anyone profited from this? People have died because of you!"

"You have, my dear Maxie." He grinned, gesturing to her, "You've been given a gift of strength and resilience. I want to give this to others so we all can live through harsh environments. Our soldiers will be the best any country has seen. We will have a leg up on the competition and it all starts with you, dear. Congratulations!"

All of us stood quiet after his speech. I looked over to Max, who was about to break through her restraints. Her fists pulled at the leather as her attention stayed on Grimes. Her eyes were getting cloudy as they bored into him.

"Congratulations." Max spoke quietly. Her whole body shook as she pulled against her restraints, "Congratulations? Are you fucking kidding me? You have ruined my life. You've ruined everyone's lives! How could you think that any of us wanted this?! This isn't some gift! This is-"

Her words started to scramble together before just turning into growls. Her body seized against the restraints as her neck craned up and her eyes shut.

Ashley went beside her to put a hand on her arm, trying to bring her back.

"Don't fight it, Max." Grimes said with exasperation, "It'll just make it harder on yourself."

Thor hit the back of his head, "Shut up!"

"Max." Ashley said softly, "You're okay."

Max growled once before her body fell limp against the bed. Black veins snaked under her eyes as her head turned her him. Her eyes snapped open. This time, they were clear and Max-like instead of the cloudy zombie eyes.