It's Not Living

The four of them headed back to Archie’s car, so they could all go home. Veronica and Kevin both explained their address, so he knew where to go.

“I call shotgun!” Betty yelled out, rushing over to the car so nobody could beat her. Veronica laughed, but didn’t rush after her. Instead, she kept back, so she could walk with Archie. Kevin was behind Betty, and both of them waited for Archie to unlock his car.

“Archie, unlock it, I gotta get in the front before anyone else,” Betty called.

“Betty, nobody else is trying to get in the front. I’m driving, Kevin is already standing at the back door, and I don’t think Veronica really cares,” Archie laughed, walking around to the driver’s side of the car. He put the key in the door to unlock it, and Betty opened the door to sit down.

“Finally,” she sighed. Archie laughed.

The group were all singing along to The 1975’s It’s Not Living, having the times of their lives. Betty turned town the music to talk, but they all interrupted her with a moan.

“Oh, God, stop, it’s not that bad. Anyways, Can I vent? About Jughead and I?”

“Who?” Kevin asked, confused.

“My boyfriend slash soulmate? Uh, crown beanie? Super moody and narcissistic?”

“Oh, right, carry on.”

“Is it possible,” she paused, unsure whether to continue, “for soulmates to… to fall out of love?” All three of them looked at her. She motioned for Archie to keep his eyes on the road.

“Are you serious? What- where is this coming from?” Archie rubbed his forehead.

“I don’t know… sometimes I just get the impression that he doesn’t love me like he used to,” she said quietly, looking down.

“I- I don’t know what to say. I’m sorry, Betty,” Archie sighed.

“But that’s not the worst part…” she trailed off.

“Hm? It gets worse?” Veronica frowned.

“I… my sight… it’s fading back…” she said, tears forming in her eyes.

“Holy shit, that can happen?” Veronica asked, a tone of panic in her voice.

“I didn’t know it could, but…” Betty trailed off again.

“Have you, like, talked about this with him? Maybe his is fading too?” Kevin said.

“I haven’t. I don’t know how I’d start that conversation, like ‘Oh, Jughead, I don’t think you’re my soulmate anymore. Do you still love me? Is your eyesight still vibrant and colourful, unlike mine?’ I don’t know, it just seems a bit… harsh.”

“Fair enough, B,” Veronica sighed. “That sucks. I didn’t even think that was possible. Hm, maybe that means your soulmate is someone else? Like, the universe miraculously got your soulmate wrong?”