Boarding...

Several knocks on the door.

"Jules? Julie? Are you awake? We have to get the bags in the car so we won't miss the flight." Katie said awakening me from my slumber.

"I'm up, I'm up" I said, feeling bittersweet about leaving this place I've called home for so long. I was going to miss the warm weather, the Palm trees, and most importantly Kaloub. I don't know how I was going to live without his embrace or his kisses for an entire year but I understood that I had an opportunity that wouldn't come as easily the second time.

I grabbed 3 of my 5 suitcases filled with clothing and other necessities and dragged them downstairs to the front of the door where Katie's stuff was already eager to leave their sanctuary.

I turned around and saw the bouquet of flowers Kaloub had given to me last night at dinner and felt an ache in my stomach. I think Katie saw the pained look I had and put her hand on my shoulder and gave me a nod assuring me and also telling me that it was time to go.

I grabbed the rest of my bags and made my way to the SUV we rented to carry all of our items. I told Katie she should could drive to the airport so I went back into the apartment while she stayed in the car. I turned off my room lights and the kitchen light and as I got to the living room right by the front door, I could feel my face get hot. I hated leaving. I could never start anything new without feeling like I was leaving a part of me behind. I could feel the tears swell up and then fall down my cheeks. I knew I had to grow up but it was difficult. Katie honked the horn and I immediately wiped the tears from my face and took one good look at my home, put the light switch down and closed the door.

...

The car ride for the most part was quiet except for the radio playing the same songs we heard everyday. Once we got to the airport and made our way through the security check and onto the plane I tried to think of my last night with Kaloub. I loved him with everything my body and mind could supply. The dinner he made me was good but the way we made love was more satisfying than any piece of steak could ever be. The way his hands touched every curve and crevice with all knowledge and awareness that it would be the last time in a long time. The groans and the moans were the loud cries we didn't want to express any other way. It was magical and almost worth staying for but almost wasn't enough and we both knew that as he kissed me one last time before we said our goodbyes.

Katie grabbed my hand as we took off into the Florida sky reassuring me that no matter what we went through on this trip, we always had each other. For a second, I felt selfish, almost forgetting that she was leaving behind people she loved to and I squeezed her hand back making sure she knew that I wasn't going anywhere.