"It suits you"

The night was warm. In the air wasn't even any gentle breeze. Everywhere there was a pleasant silence, disturbed only by the sound of footsteps.

Corey looked at the sky. Unfortunately, the streetlights outshone what he hoped to see.

"Will these people attack you again?" Wanda asked suddenly.

He looked at her. She didn't seem angry. It was possible she was a bit worried, but in her voice and facial expression there was no sign of anger.

"Sooner or later, probably yes" he replied.

The head continued to pulse with dull pain. It wasn't unbearable, although normal people would have had at least a concussion after such a punch in the head.

"Is their boss also on your list of goals?"

"Yes" he smiled weakly "he and three others."

They were heading to the beach. This direction, of course, was chosen by the man, and Wanda simply followed him. She probably didn't even suspect where her companion was leading her to.

"The exploiter, Mafioso" the girl began to enumerate "who are your other victims?"

Corey smiled at Wanda.

"From when are you interested in my black businesses?" he asked.

The girl rolled her eyes.

"Don't provoke me to change my mind."

"What do you mean?"

"I'll help you. The sooner we done this, the sooner we'll deal with the Hildreth's case."

The man scowled internally. Of course he was pleased with himself, he managed to convince Scarlet Witch to cooperate. In spite of everything, though he wanted someone to get rid of David and Jeffrey from his life, in some strange way the more he got closer to it, the more he felt sick. Maybe it's because of stress? Or maybe because it's still the only reason why Wanda stays with him?

In spite of everything, he didn't show his doubts.

"What made you want to help me?" he asked.

Wanda answered after a moment.

"That was the deal" she said, "in exchange for my help, you'll help me."

"But I told you don't have to do that."

The girl bit her lip, forcing Corey to look away from her.

"You already helped me a lot now" she said, confused "you had let me lose the burden of work and bad memories for a moment."

The supersoldier stopped and looked seriously at his companion. He didn't know what to say. On the one hand, he was going to do it, right? He wanted to make her laugh and deprive the artificial walls she had built around her. But probably he was planning to do it only to prove himself to himself and when it happened... Suddenly it wasn't an ordinary achievement, just like taking a stranger to bed. It was more than that... He actually helped her... It's as if he was useful but not as experimental rabbit. He just came in handy. It built in him a huge feeling of happiness and... surprise?

Wanda gave him a shy smile.

"And I even had fun today" she said.

A huge smile appeared on Corey's face.

"I told you so?" he asked in his style.

"Don't make me cancel it" the girl retorted cheerfully.

"Okay, okay" he laughed, raising his hands in a defensive gesture "I say nothing more."

They finally came to the beach, and even without slowing, Corey walked across the sand toward the pier.