"You still suffer"

Wanda was tired. This brief visit to the Mirage facility cost her a lot of strength and nerves.

On the way back, it started to rain. It was not a torrent, but it perfectly described her and Corey's mood. About that...

He didn't say a word since their escape. He was lost in thoughts and avoided eye contact with her. She knew the reason. She was afraid to guess what was he supposed to say to her? When they returned to the hotel, they didn't exchange a word with each other, and Corey was the first to go to the bathroom. After a quick shower, he went out in fresh clothes, but not in pajamas. It was stressing her more and more.

She left the bathroom and saw her companion sitting still on the couch and staring at the window. Only the lights at the kitchenette were lit in the room, so it was half-dark here. Corey looked worried and even for a second didn't look at her, which he always did.

The girl swallowed and sat down next to him. Only now did she see that there were several bottles of beer on the table, of which only one was open. Probably she also needed some courage, so she reached for one of them and using her power, she opened it.

"I see that it is not only me who is drinking beer today" Corey murmured quietly.

"You can't see because you're looking the other way" Wanda joked.

Why did she say that now? She had no idea... Probably she wanted to loosen up the atmosphere a bit. Apparently, she begins to take on Corey's habits.

The man finally turned to her and reached for his beer.

"Fair enough" he muttered.

After taking a sip, he put it back in place and leaned his elbows on his knees. Then he rubbed his face by hands roughly brutally.

"I'm sorry" he said after a moment.

"For what?"

"I lied to you."

Wanda took another sip of her drink to somehow swallow the bump growing in her throat. How did he lie to her?

Corey straightened up and looked deep into her eyes.

"When we met for the first time in Sochi, I said my lastname is unknown" he said seriously, dropping his eyes again, "that's a lie. My real name is Corey Hildreth and I'm the second son of Jeffrey."

The man's words fell on Wanda like a boulder. On the one hand, she was completely disbelieving. How is this possible? Does Corey belong to this sick, crazy family? On the other hand, everything seems to make sense now. Sadness at the changes of Jeffrey, a rage when he found out he was killed by David...

"You said your father died" she said, still disbelieving.

Corey smiled sadly, staring at the floor.

"Because he died" he said, "my dad was a happy, warm, somewhat older man. This man was killed by his older son many years ago, and what remained of him, you've seen for yourself."

Wanda didn't take her eyes off her companion. She felt anger at the same time for being lied to, as well as compassion. She didn't know, however, what she should believe in now and what not. If he lied to her about this, did he lie to her in any other way?

"I told you that Jeffrey had two wives" Corey continued sadly, reaching for beer again, "he didn't spend much time with his first woman and David, and when his wife was killed, he wanted to fix his mistakes. But David was already used to the fact that his father wasn't with him, so he closed in on himself and stepped back. After a few years Jeffrey met another woman and fell in love again. They got married and when David was fifteen, I was born. Jeffrey again tried to fix the mistakes of the past, so he devoted his family to as much time as possible. My mother died when I was three, actually a moment after I was diagnosed with cancer. That's why the oldman decided to risk and implant a regenerative implant. In the end, it was the last chance to save his son, and as he once said, I was the only one left after his second wife."